Bentonite works fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
Back story....

I have 2 batches of SP going. The 1st one, stayed cloudy till I added the Sparkolloid. Then within 2 days it started clearing.. There's still a haze, but it's clearing.

The 2nd batch, I started about a week after the 1st. This time, today, I decided to try adding Bentonite to the secondary fermentation. And all I can say is WOW! I added then stirred it in well.

It's not crystal clear, but within 15 mins of adding, it started clearing. That haze that has been throughout from the beginning started to settle. I'm talking the top 3rd no longer has that whitish haze. I'm expecting the Sparkolloid will be needed when it's finished to get it crystal clear, but I think this is really going to help with compacting the sediment for the next rack.

From now on, I'm going to add bentonite to to pretty much everything, starting with the primary fermentation.

Now, I'm wondering if I should also add some pectic enzyme. My 1st batch with the Sparkolloid is slightly hazy. Lets just say there is no pectin in the SP, will adding the enzyme as a preventative cause any problems?

Last edited:
Pectic enzyme is generally considered to be one of the things you can add quite a bit with no ill effects.It's just in there to break up the pectin and if it has nothing to do, I believe it just falls out.

Here's pic of my SP with just Sparkolloid. It's been just over 2 days since I've added it. I'm thinking about adding the pectic enzyme, if it doesn't clear more in the next 5 days.

SP_batch1_spark.jpg

Here's pic of my Apfelwein.. which I'm thinking might need the Pectic Enzyme.. It's been like this for weeks now.

Apfelwein.jpg

Latest posts

Back