Clearing/Fining which to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would degass it then or you can wait and let it naturally degass on its own - might take a while though. Make sure the temps are around 75 - it will help the CO2 to be released.

That's what I thought, but I just needed some reassurance. I'll wait and rack as scheduled.

This is my first time using a fining agent. Normally at this stage (I racked it out of the primary on the 3rd), my wine wouldn't be clear enough to see these small bubbles.

I love super kleer. I use it in every wine I make. Great stuff. :b

Fruit wines are fermented alcoholic beverages made from a variety of ingredients and having different flavours.Recipe of Raspberrty fruit wine :

* 12 cups raspberries, fresh
* 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
* 1 teaspoon acid blend
* 2 campden tablets
* 1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme
* 1 package wine yeast
* 1 gallon water

Thanks.

Fruit wines are fermented alcoholic beverages made from a variety of ingredients and having different flavours.Recipe of Raspberrty fruit wine :

* 12 cups raspberries, fresh
* 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
* 1 teaspoon acid blend
* 2 campden tablets
* 1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme
* 1 package wine yeast
* 1 gallon water

Thanks.
Never add sugar blindly. Sugar is to be added until you get the gravity needed. In this case add sugar to 1.080 tops.
Use this to figur proper Amt.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mpesgens/thwp/winecalc.html

OMG, does that stuff work fast. I snapped this pic of the chardonel about an hour and a half after adding the second half of the clearing agent. It's hard to capture on film, but you can see all the sediment that had already fallen out of solution.

wpid-2010-09-17_22-38-28_772.jpg

Well, this chardonel was brilliant, and I bottled it last weekend. For two days, every time I walked thru the kitchen I'd hold a bottle up to the light just to admire it. Today, I applied the labels and capsules, and I was distraught to see significant floaters in the wine. :?

I've used SuperKleer in beer, but I'm only fermenting my second kit. In other threads, I've read a great deal about bulk aging and using natural degassing. When doing this, is a fining agent still required/recommended?

I've used SuperKleer in beer, but I'm only fermenting my second kit. In other threads, I've read a great deal about bulk aging and using natural degassing. When doing this, is a fining agent still required/recommended?

I use SuperKleer in every wine I make and I bulk age for at least 18 months to 24 months. I did my first rack last night of 6 gallons of Sangiovese and 6 gallons of Pinot Grigio. As of the last hour there are at least 1.5 - 2 inches of lees on the bottom of each carboy.

The Cab Sauv I have bulk aging still has lees falling out due o the superkleer after a year. I would suggest using superkleer, degassing at every rack, bulk aging, 3 racks min. and patience, patience, patience.. I am not a patient person so making wine has helped me with that. THe longer I wait the better it tastes:ib

Kit wines normally come with fining agents. I'd say use whatever comes with the kit and call it good.

OK I'm getting worried about my wine, I put in the fining packet and the packet of isoclear (maybe spelled wrong), and haven't seen any change in the wine since i added it 3 days ago the kit says after 6 days of adding it should be ready to bottle, the temp is 72 deg, is it normal to take awhile to clear or should i order some SuperKleer

Did you degas good first? A gassy wine will not clear due to trapped C02 suspending the particles. Also, some fining agents work much slower so hang in there. Ive had many a fining agent take a few weeks to a month.

Like Wade said... But, Whats the rush? Leave it alone. You do not have to bottle on the day the kit says.. Relax

Yes degassed good I bought that drill mounted stirrer you suggested in another topic, i not a very patient person maybe my new hobby will change that

Wait it out a few more days... you can always pick up some Superkleer and like Tom says you don't have to bottle exactly when it says...

What about using gellatin finings? That was recommended by the guy at Friar Tucks where I get all my supplies. So far I have only used it in my grape juice wine, but there wasnt much suspended particles after I degassed.

Latest posts

Back