Clearing after Bentonite.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
I have a batch of apple wine that is about 4 months old. It has been racked twice. I used bentonite to clear it a month or so ago. It looks fairly good but still has some very fine particles in it. It's probably yeast. I know this is minor but I would prefer to fine it one more time. After bentoite should I switch to a different clearing agent with an opposite electrical charge?

If you dont want to continue waiting then SuperKleer or Sparkaloid is the next best step. Im not sure if Sparkaloid is a positive or negative or both but I do know SuperKleer is both.

Sparkolloid I think is positive and bentonite is negative....or vice versa.

Did you degauss? This would account for particles in suspension if you didn't.

Degassing could help it some as Steve said. Also cold stabilizing will help get the small paticles of bentonite to settle. As the acid crystals form, they CAN use the bentonite particles as a precipitation nucleus. That way when the acid drops, they drag the fine bentonite and yeast with it. This time of year you should be able to find a nice cold spot for it- about 25-27 works well for a few weeks.

apple wine

I used gelatin on two batches of apple wine, one came out crystal clear, the other is still somewhat cloudy, both had bentonite first. The clear one sat for two months and i degassed it first. The cloudy one didn't get degassed and i fined it right after fermentation.

Back