Cleaning with oxiclean

Discussion in 'Equipment & Sanitation' started by Dutch, Jun 14, 2015.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2015 #1

Dutch

Dutch

Dutch

After measuring SG, or using the spoon for a quick stir, do you wash everything with Oxiclean evertime or just rinse and use sulfite?

Also if you use your own bottles, and you emptied one, is it enough to rinse it with hot water and use sulfite before filling them again, or do you wash them with oxiclean everytime?

Thanks!

2. Jun 14, 2015 #2

vacuumpumpman

vacuumpumpman

vacuumpumpman

Vendor Sponsor

I will sanitize everything with sulfites.

I normally don't have to use oxiclean much as my bottles are rinsed out every time we get done using them.

Dutch likes this.
  3. Jun 14, 2015 #3

Julie

Julie

Julie

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I do like Steve does. The only time I use oxyclean is when I have stubborn stains in my carboys. And I use the oxyclean that does not have bleach in it.

Dutch likes this.
  4. Jun 14, 2015 #4

Dutch

Dutch

Dutch

Glad to hear that, then I'm on the right track :)

5. Jun 14, 2015 #5

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

The one with the green lid.

I will soak bottles for a few days in oxi clean to remove commercial labels, then rinse thoroughly with the hottest water I can stand. Once, they're de-labeled and clean, I store them till I need them. The morning of bottling day, I'll start by sulfite spritzing the bottles and let them air dry.

Dutch likes this.
  6. Jun 15, 2015 #6

richmke

richmke

richmke

For equipment that is only briefly in contact with the wine, a rinse with clean water is all you need. Then sanitize prior to each use.

For things that need a little more cleaning (like the pail, carboy, used bottles) I will use Oxygen Brewery Wash, or Powdered Brewery Wash. They are designed for cleaning brewing equipment.

Now that I have the Allinone Pressure Washer, I will use that to clean bottles prior to each use (use Oxygen Brewery Wash), and then sanitize.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Dutch and JohnT like this.
  7. Jun 17, 2015 #7

JohnT

JohnT

JohnT

Moderator Super Moderator

I agree, It is way more important to clean before use than to clean after use. I rinse in hot water and then k-meta prior to use.

As far a bottles, I first rinse in a solution of that automatic dishwashing detergent (the gel type), then rinse in screaming hot water 3 times and then allow to dry on a drying rack before tossing them into my "bottle bin". Before use, all I do is to rinse in k-meta and allow to drain before filling.

CheerfulHeart likes this.