Cleaning up mold in wine room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
I noticed I have some mold growing on the block in one corner of my wine room. From what I have read using a water bleach solution is the best way to clean mold. However, on this form, bleach has been mentioned as a no-no around wine. Is this just no bleach for cleaning equipment, or would you worry about using it in the room.

I am planning to move all my carboys to another room while I clean and carefully dispose of all cleaning materials. then a thorough wipe down and mop of the room before setting up the room again.

Suggestions?

I have to think that if you protect your equipment from chlorine bleach exposure by covering or removing, you'll be OK. Bleach will eventually oxidize? reduce? inert. If the mold area is unfinished masonry there are many good coatings to prevent reoccurrence. Perhaps the best thing to think about is how did it happen in the first place.

I have to think that if you protect your equipment from chlorine bleach exposure by covering or removing, you'll be OK. Bleach will eventually oxidize? reduce? inert. If the mold area is unfinished masonry there are many good coatings to prevent reoccurrence. Perhaps the best thing to think about is how did it happen in the first place.

Thanks, I need to work on the downspout as it is leaking and I need to replace some broken window well covers.

What is the treatment to avoid mold? Is it one of the "paints" that coat the wall. This would probably help to make sure the water makes it to the bottom of the wall and French drain it any comes in in the future.

I am in serious need of a dehumidifier in my cellar. Will be getting one.

Never use bleach around wine. Chlorine promotes TCA (cork taint). Any other non-Chloring based cleaner is always a better option.

Perhaps, after you are finished with borax, a good squirt of lysol?

A product like UGL's drylock, can really help with the seepage as can straight hydraulic cement to fill cracks or seams. Several paints and primers offer mildew resistance. Once the cement is painted (sealed) even if the mold/mildew reoccurs it's a much easier cleanup. A few thousand air exchanges on a nice day can't hurt either via fan and open window. A look around Al Gore's WWW may offer better ideas.

BC

Thanks, I see borax is a good way to clean mold. perhaps better than bleach in some ways.

I had black mold on the walls of my basement around my sump pit, mixed borax powder in a garden sprayer (forget the dosage, found it online) Sprayed the mold, let it sit for a week scrubbed the mold off and it's been clear since. I did parge a layer of concrete on the bottom of the sump pit as it had an earthen bottom before and I think that was the source of my problem. Best part of borax, no fumes.

Latest posts

Back