Cleaning carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Reaction score
I'm cleaning a few used carboys that I got on Craigslist. A few of them has some pretty tough stains in them. I'm scrubbing pretty hard with a brush and some of the stuff is giving me a rough time. What do you all use to get tough set in stains out? And also while I was scrubbing the metal from the brush left marks in the neck. Is there a way to remove this ring? ImageUploadedByWine Making1417293032.497866.jpg

get some oxyclean that does not have chlorine in it, add that, fill the carboy all the way with warm water and let it sit for a couple of hours. You will be surprised in how clean they come out.

Yes - oxyclean with the green lid - and I use the carboy cleaner - works alot better than the brush !

40 volume peroxide.. available at sally's beauty supply. works great>

Oxyclean Worked like a charm. What exactly is a carboy cleaner? I used a brush and it work ok.

Oxyclean Worked like a charm. What exactly is a carboy cleaner? I used a brush and it work ok.

I agree PJD - This is definitely a have to have tool !! and yes I threw out all my brushes -

I use a battery drill - so you wont burn up the pads - add 1 gallon of solution in the carboy and in approx 10-15 seconds latter its done !
heres the link - your LHBS should already have these in stock

http://www.carboycleaner.com/

I agree PJD - This is definitely a have to have tool !! and yes I threw out all my brushes -

I use a battery drill - so you wont burn up the pads - add 1 gallon of solution in the carboy and in approx 10-15 seconds latter its done !
heres the link - your LHBS should already have these in stock

http://www.carboycleaner.com/

Just watched that video and I'm done with the brush! I think I have seen these at my LHBS. How many uses do you get out of one of these things?

Just watched that video and I'm done with the brush! I think I have seen these at my LHBS. How many uses do you get out of one of these things?

As long as you use a battery powered drill - it should last a long time. I still using mine - after 9 months of good use to it -

It really works and cleans the carboy soo much better than the standard brush

Mine is a couple years old now. Replacement pads are available, I just bought a set but have not used them yet. I generally always have 30 to 40 carboys going so this tool does get a lot of work.

How well do they scrub hard set in stains? I have about 5 more used carboys that I got off of Craigslist. The person must have racked out of them and never bothered to even rinse them. A few of them has a couple spots that look pretty bad.

Which carboy brush/cleaner?

I realize I am resurrecting an old thread but wondering if the consensus is still the same, scrap the old style bristle brush and use the carboy cleaner tool/brush?
I have a couple of used carboys I picked up that have some stains around the bottom ring I am having a hard time getting out.
I filled them with oxyclean/warm water and let sit for an hour or so but there is still some there.
Was going to buy a bristle brush today and then ran across this thread.
Thoughts?

I just watched the video and am sold on it! I've done a lot of wine racking and cleaning of carboys over the holidays and get so frustrated with the brush, you have to get the bend just right! Always a new tool I can't live without! :h

I have a couple of used carboys I picked up that have some stains around the bottom ring I am having a hard time getting out.

I filled them with oxyclean/warm water and let sit for an hour or so but there is still some there.

When I cleaned those carboys out I had to leave a few sit for a week or so to get it all out. I would shake them up and used the bristle brush and finally got it. You have to watch you don't have the metal from the brush pushing to hard into the neck because you'll scratch the neck. That's what I did in one of them [emoji19]. I since dropped the brushes altogether and have been using the carboy scrubber from above. Works great!

Latest posts

Back