Clarifying White Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSKOH

Reaction score
I have 3 wines from grapes that I started in September or early October. They are Cayuga, Chardonnel and Traminette. 5 gallons of each. They have cleared some since fermentation stopped and were racked off the gross lees.
I have read several threads on what to use to clarify them. This includes; bentonite, superkleer, islinglass and other.

What have anyone used that has produced good results? I want to clarify before cold stabilization.

Thanks
Ken

Isinglass is supposed to be the gentlest but Ive had it fail on kits with me before so my goto agent is always Superkleer. I dont use anything unless about 4 months go by without it clearing though.

I would try some bentonite at this stage and then after a couple days, cold stabilize it. The bentonite will help precipitate out the bentonite and the bentonite will be compacted by the crystals dropping. Cold stabilize a few weeks and rack off again.

Don't rush it..

I make the chardonel as well, but i don't add the clarifying agent (superkleer - unless i need it) until about 7-8 months.

I let mine clear for about 3 months, then I cold stabilized for a month, and they are pretty darn clear now.

Let me clarify my recommendation a bit (yea I really said that). I use the bentonite pre CS to help not only clear any sediment, but also to get rid of any protein in solution or suspension. Protein is highly attracted to the bentonite and as it drops and clears, it removes a possible protein haze formation later on as it is chilled prior to serving.

I totally agree with what grapeman said. SuperKleer hasn't ALWAYS worked for us. And the bentonite works on the protein haze as well as suspended solids. Bentonite is our favorite for clearing.

But the comment about waiting is also something we do. We don't use bentonite until we are convinced it won't clear on its own--usually around the 6 month mark for something like a Niagara.

i have always wondered about the topics discussing clearing and this will show my ignorance but so be it....i have never had a wine in 31 years...red or white, not clear and when i see a topic like this w all the clearing agents..i say goodness all the things i know little about

some wines get racked...some not ,as in never...some wines get cold stabilizes...some not....some wines get some pot carb or bi carb...some not...some oaked...some not...i dont even use bentonite...some whites never even get filtered

so i am pretty ignorant in these areas i have to say and when i see a topic like this i feel like i am looking in on another world...and before anyone thinks i am looking down my long italian nose...far far from it....i am trying to understand what we are doing different that permits this need for all these agents/chemicals

Are your wines well degassed. This will greatly help your wine clear. Bentonite is recommended for whites. I use sparkolloid and have had excellent results.

It is said that spark. can alter the color a bit. I've never seen this occur.

Al--Maybe it has a lot to do with the grape varietal you use. But our Niagara can give you headaches in trying to clear it. I think most of the cloudiness is due to protein haze. We don't filter. This year, we're going to bentonite our white at the primary. We can also have clearing issues with apple, pear.

Last edited:
could be as you say Turock...i have used product shipped from Italy...from California and have grown grapes from Europe and America and i have dabbled w fruit wines....i am not knowledegable w Niagara nor apple or pear

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will use the bentonite at this time on 3 of the wines. I have 2 five gallon carboys of the Cayuga and will use bentonite on one and isinglass on the other and see which works best. I will report back with the results. Then cold stabilize, filter and bottle.

Back