Cider Priming Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
About a year ago I made a 3 gallon batch of hard cider. It was still, I added Pot Sorbate to retard further fermentation, then added one can of Apple juice concentrate in an attempt to sweeten it a bit. I then bottled into Welch's Sparkling Cider bottles, plastic champagne cork and wired them shut. I used these since I had them on hand, not because I anticipated further fermentation.

However, after 4 months I open a bottle was glad I used these bottles, which can hold pressure, and found it very nicely carbonated, small plentiful bubbles, dry, but very tasty. Everyone wants me to make more, but, I don't know if I can pull it off again as this was just accidental fermentation.

I can certainly make hard cider again, but contrary to using standard priming sugar, is there a proportion using Apple juice concentrate to prime?

Thanks,

Tony

P.S. Boy, it was that good!

I have done it before as well. I just looked at the back of the concentrate. The nutritional information will list the amount of sugar in each serving in grams. Most priming calculators give amounts in grams. Should help you determine the amount to add.

Consensus is 1 can of Apple juice concentrate for a 5 gallon batch. Champagne like carbonation is noted at a can for 3.5 gallons, Mine was just a 3 gallon batch, it was very carbonated, like champagne, but I guess I'm lucky I bottled in something that could handle the volume of pressures that were generated.

Thanks for the insight.

My first guess is that your sorbate may have been past its due date, I have never had anything referment aftter fresh sorbate. Did you also add sulfites? If you didnt add sulfites its possible you got bubbles from something other than yeast but at the level you got champagne like bubbles it seems it was more likely yeasts. WVMJ

Yeah, that Sorbate could be a bit on the old side, yes, normal sulfates were added too. All in all it opened the road to a very tasty beverage.

Back