Chromatography

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buehler91

Reaction score
Uggh. I left my chromatography paper in the solution for a week!

What are the odds that it is OK?

My gut tells me to do it again and not forget it:h

Do it again. If saturated for that long, the acids will disperse across the paper. You likely won't see any spots.

I agree with Greg (been doing that a lot lately, except with the stuff he eats. LOL). I did a Chromatography and left the paper in about 18 hours and it was too much.

Redid the chromatography.
It's been stuck at this for at least a month.
On 2-12-15 used VP41 rehydrated w/ Acti Ml and used opto Malo plus for nutrient.
Been stirring about once a week.
Temps have been at constant 70 degrees.
No kmeta added.
Is there a chance that this just won't finish?
What would happen if it doesn't complete?

1430664639674-423703188.jpg

Me.... I don't like to take it over 2 months...Looks like you got a huge amount converted. I would move on and get it protected now... Some would let it go for another month. Risky....

It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks virtually complete. It appears that what you are seeing is tailing from the lactic acid spot. If the areas where malic should be show a rounded faint spot with a noticeable top edge wider than the trailing stain from the lactic, I would say there is malic left. Yours does not appear to show that. Chromatography isn't quantitative but I agree with the others - move on with it.

Ok thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.
I ll get it racked onto some kmeta ASAP.

Didn't want to start yet another Chromatography/MLF thread since there are so many around, so I tagged on this one since it appeared to be complete. Had split a pkg of VP41 into a Merlot/Cab Sauv/Malbec Chilean blend, two 5 gallon carboys on 5-17-15, and finally ordered and received a test kit from PI (thanks guys).

Attached is the first test I did yesterday afternoon (found a great drying place, was done overnight). From what I'm seeing, it is pretty much done, right? Or should I have absolutely no color where the Malic should appear?

Thanks for your input. Just itching to get some Kmeta in there so I don't risk getting 10 gallons of vinegar, albeit good vinegar.

The ones labeled Merlot 1 and 2 are the ones with the MLF pitched. Diablo is just a kit I had aging and figured I had space I'd throw it on for giggles.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23194&stc=1&d=1435511079

6-27-15_choma_merlot.jpg

Craig, thanks for the advice. Both carboys are topped to within 1 inch of the stopper, so I guess I shouldn't worry about excessive oxidation. I'll wait another month and pull another test. If it doesn't change I'll Kmeta at that point.

I joking told my wife I was taking up this hobby to work on my lack of patience. Guess I should start trying to practice what I preach!

Thanks again for the reply.

Edit: saw this on MoreWines site and it confirms what you said:

*Note that the sensitivity-threshold for the standard vertical test kit is around 70 mg/l, but it takes around 30 mg/l to be considered truly done. So, a good rule of thumb is to just wait an extra week or two after the test shows that you are done and that should be sufficient for a true completion.

Last edited:
Just took a look at the test I ran yesterday. Maybe it's a little further along, hard to tell. I think the tell tale sign was about a week after the initial test the taste became much softer with a lactic edge, or what I think was a lactic edge. Think it's about time to rack both of the carboys and add my Kmeta and age.

Just picked up two cases of 375 ml used bottles. In really nice shape and only $5.95 per case of 24. Will use those and make up about 12 or 15 from this batch for taste trials so I stay away from the larger bottles as it ages.

7-25-15_chroma_merlot.jpg

5/19/2015 - vp41 - used all of it on 10 gallons. (was a Merlot and I read that it can be difficult to finish at times)

I'd say you're done. Are you topped up? A lot of people will let it go another two weeks, just to be safe. The chromatography will miss small amounts of Malic.

Actually I let it go a month since the first test which was close to done (image on an earlier post). I am topped up but would like to add Kmeta and move to free up the two 5 gallon glass carboys they are in so I can use them for degassing purposes with my brake bleeder kit. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back