CHOKECHERRY BOTTLED

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chokecherry throws sediment forever??
smiley24.gif
I just bottled my chokecherry and said to myself "should I filter" replied "no, I want to save my filters for other stuff". Dang it.

It was very clear, I had racked it several times. The last one was a very small small dusting of just other-colored-coating on the very bottom of the jug.

About racking from jugs without getting lees, K&GB I have the same probelm as you, sucking up some right near the bottom. I try to accommodate for that by not putting my tubing too far down at once - I inch it down as the level drops while I am racking. I also tilt the jug towards my tubing when I get to about 1/3 full - and keep the tubing up towards the top of the fluid level. If there are any lees to speak of, they come up the tube anyway no matter what you do about it because of the (my opinion) suction pressure being higher per volume of wine in the smaller container. It means I rack again... when that bit that sucks up settles down. And maybe rack again. I also switched to a smaller diameter tube and that helps.

Chokecherry will also sometimes put a cloud on the sides of the bottle...It's something to do with the pigment in the fruit.

You might get some sediment in yours....but it sticks to the bottle....Be sure to rinse and use the bottle brush right away before it dries on.

My racking cane has a little plastic bottom on it and it keeps it out of the sediment pretty good. I prefer to throw away a little bit of wine that rack it over....there is no shortage of wine....
smiley4.gif

Dang that chokecherry - I looked at the bottles this evening and there is stuff in there (not just wine I mean, sediment). I knew I was being impatient to bottle it, so, they are now unbottled and I'll just bide my time - let it settle out some more and then filter before I bottle "for real".

It was satisfying to bottle it!! but it Haste makes Waste - Just the cost of the corks and having to rewash the bottles again. Maybe a good lesson to remember next time the bottling-bug bites
smiley26.gif

pelican said:
Dang that chokecherry - I looked at the bottles this evening and there is stuff in there (not just wine I mean, sediment). I knew I was being impatient to bottle it, so, they are now unbottled and I'll just bide my time - let it settle out some more and then filter before I bottle "for real".

It was satisfying to bottle it!! but it Haste makes Waste - Just the cost of the corks and having to rewash the bottles again. Maybe a good lesson to remember next time the bottling-bug bites
smiley26.gif

Chokecherry is a real stinker to clear....We try to keep racking until the carboy is clean for a couple rackings. Even then, this sometimes grey sediment cloud will accumulate on the sides of the bottle...and, sometimes the usual purple sediment on the bottom most side of the bottle.....
smiley7.gif

I do use Super-Kleer KC to rid the heaviest particles, but, find it will drop more sediment for several rackings after the S-K KC.

The wine is worth the wait. When we gather with friends it is the most asked for wine....Many friends are not shy to ask for more.....Depending on our inventory they usually get some.

At the moment we have 6 gallons clearing....This summer when I was feeling crappy I did mix up 2 batches with hopes of stockpiling a stash. Low and behold, I will soon mix up yet another batch just to keep on top of the demand.....

It is by far one of our most favorite deep, full bodied red wines....
smiley4.gif

At first when I tried my choke cherry wine it tasted a bit astringent and I was having my doubts. The bouqet was a bitsharp as well.This morning I racked my 2 gallons back into a 6 for further clearing. I tasted it, smelled it and wow what a difference. The bouqet is sorta like a bubble gum smell and the taste is rather smooth and refreshing. Defenently note worthy and worth the waiting on the clearing. I can see why you call this your favorite NW
smiley20.gif
I am on my 5th racking so far
smiley22.gif

When I steam juice the Chokecherries it smells like Almond.....They might be related.
When I made Chokecherry Syrup I added Almond flavoring and it turned out great. I like it on pancakes and waffles and Jim puts it on ice cream.....
smiley4.gif

I have that on my wish list....don't know why I haven't gotten one before this.

I also need a Checker ph tester....so many toys....

Just need to treat myself more....but just stocked up on supplies and was feeling guilty and took those two things off for the next order..

Bottled 11 gallons of Chokecherry Wine that has been hanging around since July.....

chchSmall-1.jpg

Nice to get it done and out of the way.....

Kept back 1 gallon to serve on Thanksgiving....[save the corks]
smiley4.gif

*Hope the photo shows up....Having a hard time posting photos lately.

I added the labels late in the evening....

Now I am cleaning the sticky floor in the kitchen....
smiley11.gif

wade said:
Thats a lot of labels and corks there Woman!

I forget how many bottles there was....
11 gallons of Chokecherry + 1 gallon jug......and...
25 bottles of Blueberry and 1 gallon jug....

Guess that adds up to 79...
smiley9.gif

Sure was fun tho....
smiley4.gif

wade said:
Did you have another treatment that makes you crazy with energy again?
smiley4.gif

No treatment....no steroids or cortisone....just going crazy being inside the house.....

This is a hard time for me....transition between practically living outside and being stuck inside....

Think I need another hobby.....

Latest posts

Back