CHOKECHERRIES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it would depend on the type of mushroom. Just yesterday I read about someone getting arrested for growing magic mushrooms in their apartment...
smiley5.gif

"YEE-HAW"

chchSmall.jpg

Chokecherries have been turning color rapidly...the robins have been picking away at the ones in the yard....we drove around 'the block' this morning and found a few bushes in a little 'micro climate' that were ripe.....going to be busy the next couple weeks.... the temps are going to be in the mid 90's and heat index of 100+...so will be up with the early birds.

Wow those are diferent then the choke cherries we have here. But all we have are wild ones. They are a lot smaller then yours and black.
BTW My neighbor (who happens to make wine also) is an inplant here. He came from up your way NW. We were sampling some of his wine (sweet corn
smiley2.gif
)the otherday. We were talking about the high bush cranberries. I mentioned something about you picking them. He was wondering where you were from. If I understand right he is from around the Mille Lacs area.

Swill....Ours are all wild...and actually they are black...for some reason in the photo some of these look purple...they must have been ones that weren't as ripe. These are somewhat bigger than other years, have had lots of rain until now....Now we got the heat and humidity.

We use to live near Brainerd [BIR...Brainerd International Raceway] the tourists got so thick and then they started to stay, the traffic got so bad that Jim thought he was back in California...so we headed further North....Look on the map...where there is nothing that where we are...North West of Bemidji now..on the edge of the Red River Valley.Edited by: Northern Winos

Blackberries do the same thing NW. If you use a flash when taking a picture it seems to make the more red than black.

How many gallons will that batch of cherries make? I looked at some Bing's at the Market saturday morning but they were way too proud ofthem for me to consider getting enough to make more than maybe a pint of wine
smiley36.gif

Edited by: Waldo

I will tell him Nw. Thanks! Our's look just about the same color as your's in the picture right now. I think they need a few more days to ripen here. The birds have been eating them for about two weeks already. But I think thereis enough to go around.

Waldo they are proud of the sweet cherries here also. I looked at them yesterday at the store. Bingswere $3.50+ and the rainers were $4.50+ per#. I think I'll stick with the chokecherries.

We don't go to many Swap Meets anymore...same stuff they had last year...they are really proud to haul that stuff around.

Good Morning!!!!

Time to go picking...Heat Index will be 105-110*F by this PM...

GoodMorningSmall.jpg

Back in 2 hours and 10 minutes...with 47.50# of beauties...

54Small.jpg

Then I got to stand and wash them with my hands under running cold water...

Will go again in the morning unless it is raining. A bit of rain would wash some of the road grime off of them...but will take em as they come.

Life is good!

Edited by: Northern Winos

Beautiful shot of Old Glory NW....My son is headed up your way this weekend. A friend is taking his Grandmother to Minnesota ( not sure just exactly where yet) and John is going alongto help out with the driving. If I knew is was going to be close to you I'd send a few bottles from the Cats Meow with him

You are going to have a lot of juice for making wine out of. You must have the freezers just about full by now. Take it easy out there in the heat!. It is finally starting to warm back up here, but still not hot. We were running about 100 gdd ahead of normal up until two weeks ago. Now after the cool spell, we are 150 behind average. Good luck getting all that good stuff you can.

NW how in the world do you pick all of those chokecherries? That would drive me nuts (some people would say that would be a short trip). I just picked enough for a gallon batch. That was bad enough.

100_1098.jpg

Got them in the freezer now. Will start this batch later in the week.

Mighty fine looking cherries there swill...Should make a great batch

This year they are hanging in clusters like grapes...you just put your bucket underneath and strip them off....there is two of us picking, so we get 50# in a couple hours.

Latest posts

Back