Chocolate - Use or not ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrzazz

Reaction score
I was given a sealed bag of chocolate from a port kit that broke open and couldn't be sold. It could be a couple of years old... is it still good?

I would think that there would be a code on the bag that you could call the company that produced that kit to find out (if u knew). Alternative, when you are ready to use it, open and taste a piece. See what you think.

I would definitely use sulfite when the ingredients are added just in case.

The box that the port kit came in was broke open so they couldn't sell it. The bag of liquid chocolate was kept and then given to me. It probably is 2 years old more or less. I was talking to my wine store guy and he asked if I wanted it.... well of course I do :D

I would think that there would be a code on the bag that you could call the company that produced that kit to find out (if u knew). Alternative, when you are ready to use it, open and taste a piece. See what you think.

Yes, I am completely agree with you. If the chocolate bag is more than 2 years old then may be the company which packed it added some chemicals in it. If they didn't do this then the chocolate may be expired. It is no more good to eat and sell and it should be returned to its manufacturing company.

Wondering if the chocolate pack is from a WE Chocolate Raspberry port? The guy at my local homebrew store gave me the F-Pack from a WE Island Mist Pomegranate Zinfindale kit because the guy who made the kit did not sanitize his stuff and had spoiled wine. He gave the f-pack back to the store. I took it and then made a dry mead, and added the f-pack to it.

Back