WineXpert Chocolate Raspberry Port!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CRPcolor1.jpg

Ge a load of the gams on this stuff!

You will find goodfella that a good Port is experienced..not tasted

Vcasey, I think the stirring is helping. My starting SG was 1.030. It is 1.026 as of yesterday. Do I keep stirring until I get to 1.020 or less as the directions state? Or get as close as I can??

Waldo, great statement! I'll pour a glass of port and enjoy it all evening. Of course I'll do that with a glass of wine as well - maybe I'm just forgetful!

uavwmn, I would stir that baby and see what happens, also try & keep the temps up. Try and get it as close as you can it the goal SG. For those that seem to not want to ferment I have splashed rack them a couple of times with great results or let hubby play with his oxygen thing and give it a nice dose of O2.

FYI, I found a plain chocolate port kit and am considering picking it up, making it and then splitting it up into 3 one gallon batches adding pure strawberry extract to one, pure cherry extract to the second and leaving the other alone. My only concern is the kits from this company have been hit or miss, no in between. Remember that mist type kit I tried that I that I thought the cough medicine beat ...........
VC

Hi I have a quick question:

Is it best to let the chocolate raspberry port age, or can you drink it right away.

Thanks
Chris

cjackson, if you want to taste a port that is fantastic, imho, I would wait. Mine tasted good at 6 months, dreamy awesome at a year!!
smiley4.gif

vcasey, my port dropped SG like it was supposed too.....after stirring the beejeebees out of it!! haha
It is almost ready for the carboy.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

I am glad it worked out for you. It is pretty amazing what a stirring can do for the yeast.
By the way I did pick up that plain old Chocolate Port kit. I have no idea when I'll be able to start it, most likely after the holidays. The kit actually had oak included, I don't remember oak in my OCP.
VC

What manufacturer makes this chocolate port? The CRP has oak if I remember correctly but neither of the RJS ones did that I recall.

My $.02 - Made the Chocolate Raspberry Port last year & a double kit this year. I only used 3/4 of the F-pack this year as I thought the taste was heavy. Preliminary thief tastings, as I rack, seem to show a much improved taste. Still plenty of choc & rasp, but not so heavy in the mouth.

ratfinger, making a double batch there are 2 f-packs. Did you mean you used 3/4ths total of the 2 fpacs? Or one 3/4ths of one f-pac?

I am hoping the stirring is all I need to get this CRP* kit to get down to 1.010 in order for me to add the F-pack; clarify and stabilize. This kit has been a VERY SLOW fermentation from the beginning. Started it 7 November and still not ready to go to the next step. I've even put a heating blanket on it just to keep a stable temperature in there to liven things up, but it hasn't made much of a difference.

In any case, if I can bottle and give away for gifts at Valentine's day, I'll be happy.

*(does it mean, "Chocolate Raspberry Port," or did I just drop a vowel? The outcome will determine the acronym's true meaning)

Latest posts

Back