WineXpert Choc Rasp Port stuck at primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I made the replacement Port kit while we were in a heat wave this summer and I have kept the yeast in suspension by stirring it every other days. No better. The Port is stuck at ~1.027 just after the chaptalisation stage. It's been weeks since I've added the corn sugar and it hasn't attenuate at all since. To me, this kit is a fail. I'm almost certain that the problem with this kit is that adding dry yeast to a such high gravity must is a promise to failure. Whenever I brew a very high gravity beer, I pitch on entire yeast cake. Trying to ferment a high gravity wort or must from even two or three dry yeast packet even with Champagne yeast is simply playing luck IMHO. I'll be racking the stuck Port on a white wine yeast cake in a week and I'm pretty confident it'll ferment dry in one or two weeks from then. Just reporting about this Regular Port kit from my experience.

So I made the replacement Port kit while we were in a heat wave this summer and I have kept the yeast in suspension by stirring it every other days. No better. The Port is stuck at ~1.027 just after the chaptalisation stage. It's been weeks since I've added the corn sugar and it hasn't attenuate at all since. To me, this kit is a fail. I'm almost certain that the problem with this kit is that adding dry yeast to a such high gravity must is a promise to failure. Whenever I brew a very high gravity beer, I pitch on entire yeast cake. Trying to ferment a high gravity wort or must from even two or three dry yeast packet even with Champagne yeast is simply playing luck IMHO. I'll be racking the stuck Port on a white wine yeast cake in a week and I'm pretty confident it'll ferment dry in one or two weeks from then. Just reporting about this Regular Port kit from my experience.

Same issue but I am stuck at 40. I have tried several infusions of fresh yeast and yeast nutrient, shaken the bottle, warmed the fermenter, etc... nothing.

atarlecky,

I think that your last hope is to make a white or rosé than pitch the Port on the yeast cake when the white/rosé is done (5-7 days). My white is currently in primary, then Mill rack the Port on it's yeast cake in days. It would be also good to let Winexpert know about your situation. Good luck!

Going well on my presumptions, already more than 10 points down within two weeks on a EC-1118 yeast cake... will post the outcome.

Adding more yeast to a wine that is already high is worthless. The only way to get it going is to dump it on a yeast cake like said above and IMO preferably one that has fermented close to or higher an abv of what you have already as it will be acclimated already to this higher alc.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this yeastcake? I vaguely remember the old yeastcakes in the kitchen as a kid ... so is this a cake made from some slurry?

I'm getting nervous... I just ordered this kit a few weeks ago and should be receiving and day now...

Just started this kit myself 2 days ago. It's gone crazy already.
I'm maintaining the temp at 24 celcius / 75 fahrenheit.
I've brewed quite a few Wine Expert kits so I am interested to see if this kit lives up to it's reputation of being a difficult one to keep fermenting...
So far so good though.
Thanks, Stuart

Keep the temp up and start stirring this, it usually starts to give trouble right after chaptalizing so my recommendation is to not dump the whole chaptalization bag in all at once at break it up starting earlier say add some now and then a little later and maybe the last 3rd when it actually calls for adding it.

Thanks Wade ;)
Maintaining temp won't be an issue as I always run aquarium heaters, modified to fit my fermentation bins. So the temp should be stable.
I'll see how things are going in a day or two but I think I will follow your advice and add the chaptalization bag over time rather than dumping it in one go.

Back