Chill Mead???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I am going to be opening a bottle of my JAOM tomorrow and I wonder if you serve this chilled????

My JAOM is 10 months old and tastes pretty rough. haha
smiley34.gif
More time I hope will mellow this out.

I don't even consider tasting until they are 2 years old and tend to wait at least 3. The difference is really amazing and they go from being pretty good to something very special.
VC

I still cant understand the fascination with JAOM. Using the same ingredients you can make a much finer tasting melomel with mead or wine yeast...sorry, just dont get it at all ! I'll save all my bread yeast fer makin bread......lol

Pete

paubin said:
I still cant understand the fascination with JAOM. Using the same ingredients you can make a much finer tasting melomel with mead or wine yeast...sorry, just dont get it at all ! I'll save all my bread yeast fer makin bread......lol

Pete

Think of it as a gateway mead
smiley36.gif

It opens the door for a lot of possibilities...... I tried it once, it wasn't too bad. But I think I like the results of having patience and letting it age better.

I've tryed it too Gaudet...it was so-so I guess...probably to young. I wonder how many glasses of JAOM have made folks say that mead isnt for them.? Ya know what I mean ?

Pete

I also don't understand the fascination either, perhaps its the thought of using bread yeast. I have yet to make this style and most likely will not since I would rather be patient and use yeast suited to making wines & meads. My boys call it "dorm brew" because college students can easily find all the supplies at the local store.
What these mead does teach folks is that all the racking is not really necessary and meads & wines really will clear all by themselves. I can't count the number of mead makers who will make a mead and once the SG hits where they want, they simply lock down the lid of the fermenter and slide the whole thing in a corner and a year later rack a clear, terrific tasting mead. Personally, I would rather rack it to glass and leave it alone, but this gives you an idea of how forgiving this process can be and makes you wonder what steps are necessary.
VC

paubin said:

Pete

Actually, there is a large misconception about bread yeast. The standard Fleischmans, Fermipan, or Red Star that are common to most stores is Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the same as we use for wine. However, bread yeast is one that has very high flocculation characteristics, but is VERY neutral in flavour. It's also alcohol tolerant up to 16%.

I know that home distilling is illegal in the USA, but in countries where it is legal, most mashes and washes made for distilling will use bread yeast. The main reason for that is that bread yeast will not leave a taste behind, and doesn't create anywhere near as many esters as other yeasts, nor does it create as much of the higher alcohols and fusels (hangover stuff).

Those turbo yeasts and other yeasts that are sold for alcohol distilling only help to create a wash that will taste like crap and most likely have to be triple distilled and filtered just to make it taste okay.

While I don't make wine with bread yeast, I do use it for production other than bread and it works excellent. I also use it in JAO and have never had a bad batch.

vcasey, that is good to know because right now it is pretty rough tasting. lol
Glad to hear that time will do this mead some good.

paubin said:

Pete

Joe's Ancient Orange is designed to be made by a beginner with little to no specialized equipment. It is tailored as in introduction to the mazer's art, and as a test to see if a person has the patience for mead making - if you can't make a decent, drinkable batch of Joe's the first time out, you can safely give up mead making as "not for you" without having dropped a mint on gear or ingredients.

Oh, and to answer the original question (a bit late) - Chilled. At room temperature, the clove can be a bit over-powering...

Latest posts

Back