Chilean Wine Adventure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I thought I'd document the progress on my first attempt at using juice buckets. So, here goes:

Friday afternoon, I picked up 1 bucket and 1 lug each of Carmenere and Malbec juice/grapes from Harford Vineyard near Bel Air MD. They were nice and cold, but started their warm up on the roughly two hour drive home.

Still too cold to pitch, I set the buckets outside in a sunny spot while I cut the lawn (grapes stayed in the kitchen at room temp). After the lawn was done and I had cleaned up and had a snack, I took two, five gallon buckets, a few paint strainer bags and my grapes out to the deck with an ice cold Corona and got to work. A leisurely hour or so later, I had de-stemmed the two 18lb lugs and all the grapes were in 4 strainer bags. I crushed them by hand, and split each juice bucket into two batches each to make room for my "grape packs" - one in each bucket. From there, I measured the SG and pH of the buckets. Temps were in range, so I got to work preparing my yeast starters.

I chose to go with D254 on the Malbec and RC212 for the Carmenere. Originally, I thought I’d experiment with blending yeasts since I’d have each batch in two buckets. I ultimately decided to keep things a little more on the simple side, since this was my first attempt with fresh juice/grapes. I got the starters going with some warm water, then went back to the buckets to give them a dose of nutrient and some FT Tannin Rouge. After about 15 minutes, the starters were humming along, so I pitched the yeast and went to bed. I was a little nervous, as we were going out of town the next morning and wouldn’t return until Sunday night. By the next morning, there were visual signs of fermentation, so I left a little more comfortable; but still anxious about leaving my new babies alone for the weekend.

Sunday evening, we returned home to the smells of fermentation throughout the house. Immediately after unloading the car, I ran down to the basement; hydrometer and spoon at the ready. All four buckets were fizzing and foaming happily. I gave each a good stir/punchdown and measured SG. Both were approaching 1.060, and I was a happy camper. They had survived the weekend and were moving right along.

More to come as my Chilean adventure continues...

Jim

Sounds great Jim. You are going to love these wines. I made the Carmenere and I have had some of Shoebiedoo's Malbec from last year and both wines are superb. I also made a Cabernet Sauvignon from Chilean juice and it may be one of he 5 best wines I have ever made. Yes, I know that they did not "age" very long. The fact is that nothing ages very long in my cellar. (Long ago, when I actually worked, my team bought me a plaque for my office. It showed two buzzards on a tree limb and one was saying to the other, "Patience my ***! I'm going to kill something!")

Jim,

Welcome to the world of juice 'n fruit!

Good move on adding some fresh grapes to the mix. I have found that the bucket juice tends to be rather light for my tastes, so adding whole grapes will add more body and darken it up a bit.

Did you test the acid on your must? Although the buckets should come already adjusted, adding whole grapes might throw the levels.

How did you plan on pressing the grapes when you are done?

johnT.

Thanks guys.

I should add that the Malbec started at SG 1.094 and pH of 3.44, while the Carm was at 1.092 and 3.29. Unfortunately, my syringe and little shot glas/measuring cup on my TA kit are cracked. I'll measure as soon as the replacements come in. What do you recommend the TA should be?

Things are humming along just about perfectly so far. As of last night, must temps were all 71-72 degrees and all four buckets were approaching 1.060 SG. I'm stirring 2-3 times a day and giving the grape packs a good press on the side of the bucket.

John: My "press" is my hands. So my plan is to do the same with these as I've done with the kits that have grape packs. Just sanitize my hands, take the bags out, and squeeze away. Sounds like we are similar in wine taste - I tend toward big, bold reds. My thinking was fermenting on some skins would be beneficial

Last edited:
Update: On Saturday, the Carm was at .997 and the Malbec at .996, so I racked both to carboys for the next phase. Since I added an 18lb lug of grapes to each batch, I obviously had more than 6 gallons each. I ended up with just over 7 gallons of Carmenere and a little more than 7.5 of Malbec after sqeezing all I could out of the paint strainer bags by hand. Due to my lack of bottling recently, I was limited on my choice of vessels for this next phase. I ended up filling a 5 gallon carboy with the Carm, with the remainder in a 3 gallon, leaving me with roughly a gallon of headspace. After racking the Malbec into a 6 gallon carboy, I had plenty left. So I "blended", topping off the three gallon carboy with roughly 1 gallon of Malbec and still having about 1.8L leftover. That mostly went into a bottle, with the remainder going into a Mason jar in the fridge. So now I have three "batches" going - one 5gal Carmenere, one 3gal blend, and one 6gal Malbec. I'm planning to run all of this through a barrel, so will likely add the blend and the Carm together at some point, depending on taste tests. That would give me a roughly 88% Carm/12% Malbec blend.

After all the racking and clean up was done, I got to work preparing my MLB starters. This is my first malo-lactic ferment and I'm using Bacchus. I prepared starters using Acti-ML, and added Opti-Malo to the must (creating my first wine volcano, by the way :D ). As of last night, everything seems to be humming along and based on the tiny bubbles I'm seeing in the carboys, I think MLF is underay.

Edit: I also added approx 10g/gal of oak chips, roughly half light American and half medium French.

Last edited:
Jim,
Sounds great! My Malbec and Cab Sav are almost ready to be racked and put through MLF using VP41.

I just realized I haven't updated this "journal". MLF finished in about five weeks, and at tht time, I racked with the AI1, added sulphites, and degassed a bit more with the brake bleeder. That was on 6/26 and things seem to have cleared pretty well since then. In about another week, I'll put the Carm/Malbec blend into my ~7 month old Vadai for about 12 weeks, followed by the Malbec. We will see how things are after that - some time in the late fall.

A little later than planned, I got the Carm/Malbec blend into the Vadai barrel on the 14th. There it will sit for probably 16 weeks. Before it went into the barrel, I tasted the Carmenere alone and it was good, though a little thin for my taste. Flavor seems to be coming along, but the wine still tastes young. It should - it's only 4 months old. The Malbec had decent body, but is "gamey". I'm hoping that's just the youth coming through. In the research I've done on wine faults, I couldn't identify any that I thought the Malbec was showing, so I'm optimistic it'll outgrow that gamey nose/taste.

Jim, nice update!
My Chilean Cab Sav and Malbec have completed MLF as well, and are in line to go into the barrels as soon as the Chianti and Montepulciano D'Abruzzo are done in the barrels, approx 4 months.
This will be perfect timing for this seasons fall wines to be rotated in.

OK, after 21 weeks, I racked the Carmenere out of the barrel this morning. As luck would have it, I had about 6oz more than my Better Bottle would hold. I snuck a sip and was very pleased. The remainder is in a glass covered with a coaster and sitting on the counter. I'll enjoy it with my lunch in a couple hours. I've got the barrel soaking in some KMeta solution and will move the Malbec in there tomorrow.

Last edited:
Update: The Carmenere is really coming along nicely. Progress has been slow(er than I want), but that's probably due to the 18lbs of fresh grapes I added to the bucket. I really think this is going to end up making a very good wine. It has a nice body/mouthfeel, and pretty killer legs. The fruit is coming forward now and everything seems to be integrating well. There is certainly a kiss of oak, but it's not overly strong and I expect it will blend in pretty well. I'll plan to bottle this in 45-60 days. Overall, I think the addition of grapes to the juice bucket is very worthwhile.

Another update:

I tasted the Carmenere yesterday and am ready to bottle. Hopefully, I'll get to that this weekend. It has a nice spicy bite to it, and any astringency and/or gaminess has faded nicely. Dark fruit is coming out in the nose now, as is a hint of pepper. Body is very nice, with really good legs. It is only 11 months old at this point, so after bottling, I won't be touching it much for probably another 6 months. But I need to make room for this year's vintage. Oh, and I did give it 4 grams of TanCor Grand Cru when it came out of the barrel.

The Malbec has been in the barrel for a little over 10 weeks now. It shows a little more fruit, less spice, and is a bit smoother overall. Not surprising to me at least. I think it will be every bit as good as the Carmenere. I'll leave it in the barrel another couple weeks, then will rack out so I can make the finishing touches and bottle. I'm considering giving it some Tannin Riche Extra before bottling.

For those just joining this thread, this was my first attempt at fresh juice/fruit. I was concerned about the wines being a little thin, so I added 18lbs of fresh grapes to each bucket in an effort to kick up the body and tannins. I think this is an excellent approach to take if you want to take your game to the next level from kits. It requires no special equipment, due to the small quantity of grapes. But the payoff is quite good, IMHO. After purchasing juice, grapes, malolactic bacteria, etc., my investment in each batch was about $100. Adding the lug of grapes to each batch increases your final volume to 6.5-7 gallons, after the angels take their share from the barrel. If you're using 33 bottles as a final number, cost is only about 3 bucks a bottle. I think I've produced something that will compete with a lot of $15 bottles.

Last edited:
nice followup Jim.
In my case I am considering adding 9lbs of fresh grapes to each bucket I will be making when the chilean stuff arrives...BUT also may add the whole lug of 18lbs.

Actually, I have 2 buckets coming in, 1 cab sav and 1 merlot, plus 3 lugs of fresh grapes.

I was thinking to get everything fermented in a big 20gal bucket; and even dumping the crush grapes instead of using the mesh bags....what you think?

Last edited:
I was thinking to get everything fermented in a big 20gal bucket; and even dumping the crush grapes instead of using the mesh bags....what you think?

Unless I had a press, I'd use the bags. You may need 4-6 of them, but it will make it much, much easier to extract the must from them when you do your first racking. In that regard, it is like doing a kit with a grape pack. Just remove the bag, and squeeze with sanitized hands to get all the goodness out.

I see, I was just thinking that the more contact with the skins the better and the skins being in the bag not much in contact...

Hi Jim ,
Could you compare your Carmenere to a kit with grape pack ?
Is it as good as the Cellar Classic Winery Series or the En Primeur line ?

thank you

Nice account of your first experience with juice/grapes. This season is my 1st attempt at doing the same. Have 5 batches going at once so a bit nervous to mess something up. But this gives me kind of a timeline to compare how mine develops. Thanks for posting your progress.

Hi Jim ,
Could you compare your Carmenere to a kit with grape pack ?
Is it as good as the Cellar Classic Winery Series or the En Primeur line ?

thank you

It is taking a little longer to come around than the kits, but this will probably be every bit as good as a high end kit. I'm pleasantly surprised at the legs, body and mouthfeel with only 18lbs of grapes.

It is taking a little longer to come around than the kits, but this will probably be every bit as good as a high end kit. I'm pleasantly surprised at the legs, body and mouthfeel with only 18lbs of grapes.

Jim, does that apply to the Malbec also?

Back