Chilean juice for barrel question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chitownwine

Reaction score
I have made kits up till this spring when I have Just finished fermenting 6 buckets. I have purchased a few barrels from vadai a 6 gallon and two 11 gallons which have worked wonders on my kits. I was initially planning on putting 11 gallons of a Chilean wine into a new barrel. My concern now is the potential for the wine to under go spontaneous MLF since I haven't check sulfite on my wines when they are in the barrel. I typically dose before and after removal. I have dosed each 6 gallon bucket with 1/2 tsp kmeta while they clear, would that be adequate for say 4 months in the barrel and then dose after they are removed? Just don't wanna start a mlf since I will probably be running kits in the barrel afterwards. I know people say that if you have barrels a sulfite testing setup is required but I haven't justified the 300 price tag for the electronic meter yet since I have just been making kits.

Thanks for the help.

If the barrel has never had MLB in it it is doubtful it would undergo a spontaneous MLF. That said its still a possibility if your area has had MLB exposure at all. If you want to protect the barrel I would go ahead and sulfite the wine to some extent (40ppm). That will drop like a rock down to ~5-8ppm in about 2-3 months. Long enough to protect the wine in the barrel from MLB but then low enough for a successful MLF in a Carboy afterwards.

He wants to put kit wines in the barrel after this so doesn't want to contaminate the barrel (just yet).

Thanks for replys. I think what I am end up doing just to be safe is use one of the 11 gallon barrels for juice buckets and get some Cali juice in the fall to replace the Chilean juice. I know from what I have read using sulfite testing methods aside from the electronic meter, ie. the little dip stick method is essentially useless for reds. Would most agree or is there a place for there use before I can afford the 30o for the sulfite meter.

Thanks I just checked that out. Seems like decent setup and if chemicals can be sourced cheaply makes it even better. Will be considering that option in the future.

Thanks I just checked that out. Seems like decent setup and if chemicals can be sourced cheaply makes it even better. Will be considering that option in the future.

That $100 Morewine kit is what I use for free SO2 testing. It works just fine.

Chemicals are dirt cheap except for the phosphoric acid which can be costly to ship more than anything. If you can find it locally and its the real deal its often very inexpensive as well. You can check out pool cleaning supplies to start with and sometimes concrete or grout cleaners. It must be phosphoric acid and not some substitute cleaner.

You get a small bottle in the kit, enough to do ~5 test or so. Its what I use and very accurate but it does have a learning curve and also takes more time to set up and run and clean up than the Vinemetrica.

Latest posts

Back