Chilean Juice bucket HELP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon230

Reaction score
Picked up my juice on Sunday and I forgot to grab a yeast packet. I have 2 buckets one is moving right along on its own and the other isn't. My questions is do I have to add the yeast? If so, if I add it on Wednesday will hurt anything? I live in FL and the juice is in the house and the A/C is on 77. Can I add the yeast to late? My SG was at 1.30 last night, is there a point where adding the yeast will hurt the wine?

My SG was at 1.30 last night, is there a point where adding the yeast will hurt the wine?

I assume you mean 1.030. Now, is this on the one that you say is moving right along, or the one that isn't? Do you know if these were pre-inocculated?

The reason I ask is that 1.030 is fairly far along. Something has been snacking on your sugars already, so it does not seem to me that you NEED more/different yeast on the 1.030 bucket.

I have an airlock on both buckets one airlock is bubbling one is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Airlocks that bubble is no indication for a fermentation, just keep taking a hydrometer reading to know what is going on. The one bucket just maybe fermenting very slowly.

If the juice is still in the bucket and only at 1.030, I would not have the lid punched down with an airlock. I generally don't go under airlock until I'm at 1.000 or lower. This allows the juice to be stirred at the early stages.

Back