WineXpert chianti question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
2006-03-02_114117_0021.JPG

Sorry for the crummy picture. Of corse, can't keep out of it (hopefully that will pass) so I decided to check the SG (it will be 10 days in the primary on 3/3 and then the reading should be 0.996. I did a reading at it was at 0.990 (right on the line where I attempted to put my pencil). So, should I recheck tommorow and if it is there again go ahead and proceed to step 3 (per instructions) of stabilising and clearing, or should I wait till day 10?
I was kinda surprised-- seems fast.............
Take care and thank you - Donna

Donna, I would recommend waiting until day 10/11 before proceeding to step 3. Use the hydrometer to determine when to transfer to secondary. After that, use the days indicated in the instructions for each step. It is okay if the wine spends more days at each step, after step 2, but it should not spend less.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I agree with Joseph. I've had many wines drop to the desired SG before the recommended number of days in the instructions, however I always wait. . Tim V addressed this ques. once and His advice has always been. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Bill

I agree to wait at least 10 days and most of the time it will be fine but there will be times when it needs to go longer. This is why the instructions tell you to take two SG readings and make sure they are below a specific target.

After you make a number of kits you will get to the point where you can look at wine in the carboy and tell whether the fermentation is complete, but you always need to check SG with your hydrometer.

I guess. I fined it yesterday and mixed the heck out of it. I'll let it set another 14 days to see if it clears (no signs yet), and go from there. My peach apricot chardonnay is doing well. I moved it over to the carboy on Sunday, and it is amazing how much it is already starting to clear on it's own. I can't wait. It tasted pretty hot (I added 2 c. sug + 2 c. h20) on initial ferm. But, I am sure by the time I add the F-pack and it finishes fermenting it will be gooooodddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Princess-

Very exciting, is that why I'm up at
smiley5.gif
4am?? Oh, no, that's something else
smiley19.gif

Latest posts

Back