Cheap way to measure temperature and humidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDKS

Reaction score
I was at kmart in the tool section. I noticed an indoor/outdoor thermometer similar to the one pictured below. It was about $20 and displays Indoor Temperature and humidity and outdoor temperature. I placed the remote sensor in the basement where my bottles will be stored. The main unit is upstairs where the fermenting and bottling will take place. It is battery operated so I can take the main unit downstairs to check humidity.

Upstairs: 69 degrees 30% humidity
Downstairs: 60 degrees

41tYAh%2BS6FL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have a dial 1 in my wine cellar that was like $9.00. Thats a nice little unit there, Im guessing the remote sensor doesnt have the humidity huh!

wade said:
I have a dial 1 in my wine cellar that was like $9.00. Thats a nice little unit there, Im guessing the remote sensor doesnt have the humidity huh!

Unfortunately no humidity on remote sensor. They both run off AA batteries so it would be no problem to take the display unit downstairs every so often.

If its 60° in your basement I would not ferment at that temp. That's a little to cold.

tepe said:
If its 60° in your basement I would not ferment at that temp. That's a little to cold.</font>

All the fermentation will be done upstairs. I have a small heater if it gets a little cold in the winter. The basement will be for bottle storage depending on the temperature. It is a stone basement with about 2 foot thick walls. I will have to monitor that and see if it holds a steady temperature. If not I will need to figure out something else.

I have one that is very similar but single location temp/humidity only for $9.97 at Wal Mart.

Latest posts

Back