Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will look for the organic version of the Jobe's at my local hardware store and check it out. I don't ever see any salt accumulation on the surface more than likely because we have mostly sandy soils so you hit something with fertilizer once and the next time you water its just going down down down into the ground. I probably need a better organic solution to build up the soil long term for sure!

Will look for the organic version of the Jobe's at my local hardware store and check it out. I don't ever see any salt accumulation on the surface more than likely because we have mostly sandy soils so you hit something with fertilizer once and the next time you water its just going down down down into the ground. I probably need a better organic solution to build up the soil long term for sure!
I have a couple plots in the yard that I've been doing green manure and peat moss for years. But the last few years I've "run out of time" to properly care for my soil and have really noticed a difference. Water retention (that's the one you're looking for) and breaking up my heavy clay soil seem to be the greatest side benefits, other than healthy plants and lots of worms to fish with. It was just a thought. I've been toying with growing things in coco coir lately with additions of organics (actually Jobes Organic Herb fertilizer, Espoma Kelp, Alfalfa and Bat Guano to name a few) and my tomato seedlings as well as the peppers and other random flowers I started were the healthiest I've had in a long time. Now let's see what happens with the yields to see if I'm fully hooked on this organic way of growing.

Edit: I guess I can't imagine the sandiness of your soil. I just assume that everyone has clay like we do. I just noticed that @jgmann67 was on and it brought to mind that the school district down in his area (and my sister's as well) is call "Red Land". That's how much clay is around these parts!

Last edited:
Sounds good to me but......

Wood chips or any wood based mulch doesn't break down or do much in the desert southwest. They just sit there. They don't break down. There is no humidity, very little rain except for irrigation, very little organic except for what is amended into the soil. I can get all the free treated composted bio sludge from the waste water treatment plant that I want but they say it's not approved for gardens as it "may contain" heavy metals (and who knows what else really). Maybe I should pick up a bunch of "Magic Mushroom" compost at the hardware store and drop a bag on each vine and work it in to the soil layer.

Wood chips four to six inches deep as a mulch is a miracle product.

Maybe I should pick up a bunch of "Magic Mushroom" compost at the hardware store and drop a bag on each vine and work it in to the soil layer.
You just need something organic, period, to help retain what moisture you add. I need the organics and sand to break up the clay and allow the soil to actually drain, and hopefully not become rock hard when it dries. I noticed when I went to see what bunny damage I had this morning in the back gardens that I had a network of cracked ground on my way out to said garden, and it just rained yesterday. It is under the canopy of some trees so I'm sure they take the lions share of anything that falls (one is supposedly a red oak, I think it's an English oak by the way it's speading out and not up, the other is a maple which just digs water).

We have had a week or two of hot weather (for us) 90-95F. Has cooled off this week with monsoon moisture moving in and afternoon clouds/rain. I am usually looking at late August or early September. The fun will begin in a a few weeks. I saw a couple Robin's in the backyard yesterday. Spotted Towhee are also big pest. Nets are ready as well as Mr. Owl and Mr. Hawk which work well for a few weeks.

No Mr. Plastic Owl and Hawk. They work really well for a few weeks especially if you move them around every few days.

DSC_0878-.jpg

Plastic-Materia-Hawk-Decoy-Falcon-Predator-Decoy.jpg_300x300.jpg

The Marquette out in the wine garden is not as far along as this Marquette vine growing on the patio close to the house. Makes it hard to time everything. Luckily I have cold storage and can pick and refrigerate if need be. Not my favorite option but it works.

IMG_4546.JPG

Downy mildew. Shows up around this time of year when the monsoons arrive and our humidity goes up. I do not have to spray as it doesn't ever get any worse than that. Grapes are not effected.

Moving along. Brix this AM was 21.5. Seeds are brown. This vine is up by the house and is a week or two ahead of the vines out in the garden. Airforce is still holding up well. I move the birds around about every 5 days. I have nets ready but they are a PITA to put on and take off.

upload_2019-8-18_11-43-34.jpeg

This mornings low temp was 49 degrees. Right now its 86 (in the shade) and not a cloud in the sky. Humidity is back down under 10%. Monsoonal moisture has taken a break for the last few days. Its cooling off fast as soon as the sun sets and with the cool mornings and the fact that they are now roasting green chile' everywhere suddenly Fall is in the air in Northern New Mexico!

hatch-chile-roasting_0004.jpg

At what point to you like to harvest? I'm around 20 and need to check again this AM. I am concerned as we are into the 90s again this week and I may lose some berries. BTW, I did find a bobbing head owl (Amazon) and it works very well.

I usually shoot for 24. I can hit 25 if I don't water the week of harvest and we don't have any rain. Since I have 3 varieties (most years) the Marquette usually has to hang longer in order to let the Noiret catch up. Or I can pick the Marquette and then refrigerate until the Noiret is ready. I also end up with a pH around 3.6. I do not see the low 3.2's that most people see. I am not sure if its our heat, the soil (basalt rock) or our water (pH=8) or the combination of all 3 but pH and TA are all very much like vinifera each year.

Congrats on the bobbing head owl! I think I may add one of those as well as it would give me a bit more even coverage with 3 birds of prey rather than just the 2 that I currently have.

If you get the bobbing head owl, don't forget to put the plastic tab into the back of the owl head. It will be inside rattling around inside. It helps the head move in even a slight breeze. It works far better than the old 'fixed' owl that I have.

Back