Chardonnay is blushing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoneyGuy

Reaction score
I went about three years without making any wine and had an old Wine Kitz Chardonnay Vin Blanc Sec that I'm finishing up now. It's almost done and I'm just aging it until I bottle it. It doesn't look white, but has an appearance like a blush wine. Could it be because it was old and perhaps past its best-before date? It seems okay other than the colour but I don't know why it looks like a blush.

Ive heard of this a few times. I cant see it being from age as thats not the usual color for oxidation so wondering if this is a Chardonnay type stlye kit which is actually being produced from juices from another grape like a red pressed off the skins but took on some color from the skins.

MoneyGuy:

That's an unusual name for a kit. Was it a limited edition?

You might want to call a Wine Kitz store and ask an old hand about the kit. Perhaps it was intended as a blush.

Whites are sometimes left on the skins to pick up some colour. I don't recall hearing about Chardonnay this way though.

Steve

Latest posts

Back