Chardonnay frozen crushed and de-stemmed grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy 3 pails (frozen solid) for a very attractive price.
I'm being told they were ordered by a customer in the fall, were crushed and de-stemmed but customer cancelled.

So they were packed in 3 buckets and are frozen solid, so assume wild yeast fermentation did not happen at all.

Price is really attractive, problem is they don't know the original brix but think it was in the low 20s; which I assume is good for a white.

As many of you know I don't have a press and do not intend on getting one soon.

So, what do you guys think?

Grapes were from Lanza (hint? :D ) which I know are known for very good quality grapes.

A mash potato may be my only and painful option if I press at home :slp

Price being offered because I'm buying a 23l barrel and I could put into the barrel post ferment to leach out some of the oak, and then put my reds.
The thing is I think you guys do MLF on Chardonnay too, another variable I need to consider.

Ideas, thoughts please....

Not sure what you're paying for the three pails, but I would imagine you'll get somewhere around 6-7 gallons, since you don't have a press. If the price for the three is anywhere near $100, I'd just go with a mid-high range kit. It'll be far easier and cleaner than dealing with frozen grapes. Yes, the Lanza name is tempting, but...

Jim, are you a mind reader price-wise? :)
Yes, $100
Good point.

So 3 pails would yield only ~7gal?
I don't really know how many cases of grapes they were initially so fill 3 pails though, I will inquire but would think you can pack more than a case into a plastic bucket, don't remember.

You're right, if that will be around only 7gals then I may stick with a kit.

Last edited:
I'm completely guesstimating on the final volume. But I assume these are 5 gallon buckets and am assuming 15 gallons of must would yield about half as much wine. Maybe you'd get more, but without a press, I'd be hesitant to go for it. Just my $0.02.

I would go for it if you like to drink chardonnay. What's the worst that could happen?

You might be able to create the two-bucket press that either Seth or Jack posted fairly easily. But pressing by hand is what I do and it gets the job done so far.

My two cents. I assume you posted for vigorous debate and divergent points of view. :)

Heather

I would not pass on a deal like that very easily. Is wine about production? Or is it about getting in there and having a fun time with it? As was mentioned before, a bucket in bucket press is pretty easy to make. It might not be the easiest to use, but it would get the job done.

The one thing that would concern me though is the fact that the white wine is coming in a frozen must form. Most whites are immediately pressed in order to avoid excess contact with the skins causing color and tannins from the skins making their way into the wine. But looking at the price, I would still be tempted to just go for it.

Keep in mind though, what you would want to do upon receiving the must would be to press as soon as it thawed and then get the must chilled and rack off of the sediment prior to fermentation. However, since it is coming in frozen must form, I am not sure if this conventional wisdom would still apply.

I was doing some reading and it looks like the 'buttery' flavor in Chardonnay is mainly from the malo when the wine is put through MLF, and that you get this flavor much better this way when doing ML rather than a kit wine that never goes through MLF.

Thoughts?

I am re-considering this offer and may jump on it and take a chance.

Shoebidoe and others have done sur lie aging and/or battonage on chardonnay kits and have achieve a similar effect. I'm sure going with fresh grapes and doing a MLF would do better, but I'm not sure how much.

Well...took the plunge and bought the 3 pails.
They're frozen solid and filled to the top.

Placed buckets close to pellet stove in the basement.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1425341136.732788.jpg

You know Geek, If you wanted to have some fun you could do 2 different styles of wine. Ferment 1/2 in one bucket and do MLF, the other halve you could not do Mlf. Maybe blend some together and see if it peaks your interest. bakervinyard

Thought about it but seems like MLF is always good doing on Chardonnay.

I am hoping these buckets thaw in 2 days as my new 23l vadai is prepped and filled with water, but they're really frozen solid....we will see....

Put some towels around/under those buckets. You're going to have a lot of condensation.

Oh, and go pick up that press. ;)

Put some towels around/under those buckets. You're going to have a lot of condensation.

Oh, and go pick up that press. ;)

I placed a big round cake hard plastic cover on the bottom, I got them at costco from the bakery folks. Works great to capture any spills and condensation.
The press....either tomorrow or Wednesday ....

ImageUploadedByWine Making1425344976.115184.jpg

Back