RJ Spagnols Cellar Master Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylusia

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased this kit yesterday and after I had mixed everything in the primary I read through the rest of the instructions. At the very end it says "Keep your wine in a temperature-controlled environment out of direct sunlight, for 2 - 3 months prior to consuming". I thought that mist style kits didn't require aging? I could be wrong though, I could be very wrong :)

I'm not familiar with this particular kit maker, but quite often the instructions are generic for more than one type of kit offered by the company. It's possible these instructions also apply to other kits in their line which need some aging. Mist kits are generally drinkable right away as you mention, so if it tastes fine go ahead and enjoy.

Dugger may be correct, and Spagnols just copied that paragraph from another set of instructions.

However, some folks (me included) feel that mist wines will improve with 4-6 weeks of resting in bottle. Allows them to get over bottle shock. Perhaps Spagnols feels the same way.

Steve

Are these kits the same as the Orchard Breezin' just put out under a different name?

I think they may be the same, a search on google keeps showing Orchard Breezin' (formerly listed as Cellar Master).

I think they may be the same, a search on google keeps showing Orchard Breezin' (formerly listed as Cellar Master).
Orchard Breezin' is Spagnols primary mist wine brand, and has been since prior to 2001 (sorry my history with RJS only goes that far).

Cellar Master is a bottom end brand of mist and regular wine kits that Spagnols markets to chain stores (grocery, hardware, pharmacy). This brand has also been around since before 2001. The Overwaitea chain of grocery stores gets Spagnols to package the Cellar Master kits as Western Family.

And there's your history lesson for the day.

Steve

I did get the cellar master one at Save on Foods/Overwaitea. I have a Niagra Mist one on the go as well but my local brewery store didn't have any varieties with melon and he mentioned that there were these Kiwi Melon kits. I hunted them down. I've been bitten by the bug, just as the guy at the brewery store said would probably happen :-( I don't really even drink, it's the process of making it that fascinates me. I will have a lot to give away - provided that it turns out okay. I currently have 3 batches on the go and I'd like to try skeeter pee one of these days lol.

I really like your wine! I make my own wine but my all time favorite white wine is Pinot Grigio and I am having a hard time finding the wine kit that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Iam supposed to be making it for my son's wedding. Where can I find it.

I have found with the mist's that they definately improve with a month or 2 of aging. But that's my taste
Spagnol's just finished their once a year sale. They had Orchard Breezin' Apple Pomegranate and Tangerine/Lemon Sauv. Blanc on for $15 a kit.

Latest posts

Back