Cellar Craft kit with pulp (lots of questions)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
I'm very new to wine making. I bought a 6 gallon cellar craft Barbera kit with the pulp. I don't have a primary large enough. Is it OK to split the pulp and juice using two primaries then combine in 1 six gallon carboy after primary? Should I buy a larger primary and if so does any one have a primary they really like? I'm using a few beer bottling buckets some one gave me.

Also the kit says it is a 5 week kit. 5 days in primary then 4 weeks in secondary. The kit has a little card that says better results with longer time on skins. How long should I leave it on skins? And how long in secondary? Once in secondary should I rack again?

thank you

I break my primaries up all the time - nothing wrong with that. Don't go off the days the kit says - go off of the SG - when the wine gets to about 1.010 - 1.015 rack to secondary.

Do you have a hydrometer?

I do. Do you ever need to add sugar to the kits? Do i need to check acid?

To be honest - i have never done a kit - i always do grapes or fruit.

I add sugar to my fruits to get an SG between 1.080 - 1.085.

For my drier whites i go for an SG at 1.095 - i did chardonel and seyval this year.

I didn't have to add any sugar to the chardonel - i did add a little to the seyval though. So it just depends on what the SG is to start off with.

I always take an acid reading:

fruits - .60
whites - .70 - .75

The CC kit you are using includes an enzyme pack. CC had some issues with a white film developing in the secondary. It was harmless but an eyesore, so they added the enzyme pack and suggested changes to the directions. I've done 2 CC kits recently and you just need to follow the instructions on the little card. I think you wait until 10-12 days in primary instead of 5 days. The skins stay longer in the primary so it might help the wine. Some people have ignored the enzyme pak. I used it and it worked fine.

not clearing yet

I started my kit on 9/10/10. sg was 1.079

9/19 .993
9/20 .993 rack to secondary
10/3 stabilization .993

not clearing at all.

does this look right?

I started my kit on 9/10/10. sg was 1.079

9/19 .993
9/20 .993 rack to secondary
10/3 stabilization .993

not clearing at all.

does this look right?

fermentation is definitely complete. Did you degas? Did you add the clearing (fining) agent, that came with your kit?

If you added the fining agent, I would suspect CO2 gas still present.

To degas, the temperature must be 75F or high, if you want it to clear well.
Warm it up, get a drill stirrer and stir it well. If CO2 is present, you will see tiny bubbles coming up to the top. After you stir it for 3 or four minutes, take a sample and fill a wine bottle half way. Shake it really well. When you remove your finger from top, if it pops or if you see/hear lots of fizzing going on, you need to degas more. Bigger bubbles are not CO2 and they don't cause any fizzing. (Even plain water will have big bubbles if you shake it well.)

Degas it and let it set for 3 or 4 weeks. It should be clear.

Latest posts

Back