Cellar Craft California Merlot wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Miller

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first 6 gallon kit. I have done a few 1 gallon kits. I put this kit together this morning. It comes with grape skins. My day one S.G. was only 1.065. The instructions say the S.G. should be between 1.080 - 1.100. Should I add sugar to increase the S.G.? I don't want to screw this up. Will the grape skins increase the sugar content? Thanks for any suggestions.

Grape skins will increase the sg. But not a whole bunch, maybe .015 seems to be the amount most people claim, if memory serves me well. My guess is you need to stir, stir, stir, that 1.065 seems very low to start out with. I would wait at least 24 hours, maybe 48, before pitching yeast to see what you end up with before you add sugar. You don't want to way overshoot and get a super hot high alcohol Merlot and not want to drink it.

Grape skins will increase the sg. But not a whole bunch, maybe .015 seems to be the amount most people claim, if memory serves me well. My guess is you need to stir, stir, stir, that 1.065 seems very low to start out with. I would wait at least 24 hours, maybe 48, before pitching yeast to see what you end up with before you add sugar. You don't want to way overshoot and get a super hot high alcohol Merlot and not want to drink it.

Unfortunately I have already pitched the yeast.

Latest posts

Back