Cellar Craft CC Showcase Viognier Wins A Blind Taste Test!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got a call from a some good friends this weekend to get caught up on things. He mentioned that they had a big thanksgiving dinner with friends and family a few weeks ago and they decided to have some fun and do a blind taste test with 2 commercial Viognier's and my CC Showcase Yakima Valley Viognier which is now two years old.

Well the CC Showcase Viognier was the hands down winner of the contest! :try

Next time we get together I will see if they can recall what the commercial wines were for comparison.

Just thought I would pass this along for anyone contemplating making this kit as well as the value in a blind tasting to rid of preconceived bias that a "home made wine" can't be as good as a commercial one! :b

Congratulations Mike!!!

Hey, did you follow the instructions or did you make any modifications?

Have a great day.

Paul

That was before I owned a barrel. No tweaks, made as per directions. This kit comes with a flavour reserve pack so its off dry just a bit. Definitely a good un as they say!

Nice. I am thinking of doing that with my wife. I have a nice Grenache that she makes a face at because she hasn't heard of it. I was thinking of putting it in a merlot bottle and corking it.
Is that wrong? :)

I tried this on Sat night at a dinner party, my 9-month Viognier blind-tested against a supermarket V (Maryhill, not very expen$ive). The initial reaction was that the ladies preferred the Maryhill, due to its sweetness, but after a few sips they tired of that, declared it a "supermarket wine", and the CC Viognier the winner. The two were not dissimilar, but the CC Viognier seemed to have a notably more definitive and mature taste - i do not know enough to grasp why this is, i am just happy about it. Hope i can keep some of this batch for another 6, meanwhile i will do a new V batch in the new year.
Bob

Latest posts

Back