Cellar Craft CC Argentinean Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
Started the CC Malbec with grape pack tonight and ran into a problem. After pitching the yeast, I noticed the primary was leaking at the spigot. I had overtightened the nut and the gasket had been displaced. I had to transfer to another primary, fix the leak, and then transfer back again. The directions caution against stirring the yeast, but it was definitely submerged in all that transferring. Should I add asecond packet of yeast or just wait and see what this one does? Edited by: K&GB

You should be fine. The yeast are pretty darn good at knowing what to do.

Thanks George. You were right. It's alive!!!
smiley4.gif

20081126_054409_Malbec_4.JPG

Got my father-in-law to help me start this one last night.

20081126_054556_Malbec_2.JPG

Mixing in the crushed grape pack. My favorite part.
smiley1.gif

20081126_054817_Malbec_3.JPG

20081126_055004_Malbec_1.JPG

I have this one bulk aging right now. Its due to be bottled around March so we'll get a glass or two then. Just before putting it to bed I was able to sample and it maybe my new favorite wine.
VPC

This has been aging for a year and today I bottled a gallon and racked the rest to a 5 gallon carboy before we keg this baby for another year before bottling. It is very very good, but I think I am going to put a bit of oak in the keg just to add a bit more to the wine. How is yours coming along Ken?
VPC

vcasey, I stabilized this on 12-13-08 and racked again on 1-17-09. My tasting notes from mid-January aren't very descriptive, but here they are-

Excellent flavor, beautiful dark color, nice tannins...lol.
smiley2.gif

I do remember being surprised how good this tasted at such a young age. Congratulations on waiting a year and happy birthday to your Malbec!
smiley32.gif

Ken

Bottled this one on Labor Day and had a big glass left over. Yummy!
smiley1.gif

You are making this hard. Mine bulk aged for a year before I bottled it in April. I will not touch it until April 2010, I will not touch it until April 2010, I will not touch it until April 2010.
VC

I just started one of these malbec kits myself yesterday. The must odor seemed different than other types of reds that I have made (cab, pinot).

Has anyone else noticed a stronger or odd must odor?

Thanks!

vcasey said:
You are making this hard. Mine bulk aged for a year before I bottled it in April. I will not touch it until April 2010, I will not touch it until April 2010, I will not touch it until April 2010.
VC

I was adding kmeta to my wines & meads that are bulk aging and I cheated a bit and tasted a little of the 5 gallons that has been in the keg since March of last year. All I can say is make sure you get your order into George before CC sells out - again. The little bit I was able to taste was fantastic.
Waiting until next month will be hard.

20100401_202603_DSCN5751_Deskto.JPG

Yum! Worth the wait ......... And its on sale.

<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">140007
</td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5CCCGP_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Argentinean Malbec - with "Crushed
Grape pack"

This Malbec is distinguished by its dark, dense
structure; full-rounded mouth-feel; prominent, lush flavors of ripe
cherry, black currant and black berry; subtle notes of clove, vanilla
and caramel with background suggestions of earthiness. The bright,
vibrant edge is beautifully counterbalanced by our 2-stage Hungarian oak
process.</td></tr></t></table>

It's on my list!! I've been patiently(?)waiting for George to have it back in stock to use my Christmas gift certificate! I thought I would have to wait until June! I'm very excited!!<div id="ref">
What is all this extra stuff I can't get rid of in the post?
<div id="ref">< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">

People will think I've been drinking... or something!! =)< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">

My mistake. Both of the CC Malbecs are still not available. Cellar Craft ran out of the juice and are awaiting the South American Harvest. I have updated the web site regarding the status. I will; however, still allow anyone to pre-order the kit at the special price. I will ship them, when and if, I get them in. There is no guaranteed date at this time, but CC is hopeful to have them available in May. Cross your fingers.

Thanks George!!! I surely do appreciate it!< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">

My order went in this morning! Yeeehaaaa!< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">

I had a bottle of 2005 Malbec with dinner the other night. My Wife and I were blown away!!! Ordered the kit from George today. Will try the resturant again tonight hoping they still have 1 more bottle.

For those of you who like Malbec, but don't have any of your own ready to drink yet, make a visit to PF Chang's. That will get you by temporarily.

They have an Argentinean Malbec - Catena Zapata - Mendoza. It is really nice. If you like reds, but have never had a Malbec, you will likely enjoy this one.

I have ordered the CC Argentinean Malbec from George. I have heard nothing but good about this kit.

WOW Joan, what is that gibberish on your Post?? Have you been drinking??
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Back