Primary Leaked!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keebler71

Junior
Reaction score
First off - thanks to everyone for being so helpful with the other questions I've thrown up here!

Ok... so I'm working on my second batch, a CC Red Mountain Cab. As you may recall - I broke my hydrometer on the day I was supposed to rack from primary to carboy - no biggie... I let it sit in primary a few extra days and picked up a new hydrometer.

Today (day 15) I go downstairs to the basement and immediately know there is a problem. Very strong smell of wine... then I see the puddle under the primary and onto the floor and it appears to have leaked out the spigot joint. At this point I am not sure how much I have lost... I quickly sanitized all my gear needed to rack and popped open the primary and was happy to see that not *too* much seemed to have drained out... judging from the "water line" it appeared to be about a half inch or so... probably less than an inch (I'm using a 9 gal screw lid plastic primary with a spigot... more on that in a second...). At 13" high, and assuming a perfect rectangular prisim... I show that to be about 0.7 gal per inch of fluid level so I may have lost about .3-.5 gal to the floor.

So I rack most of the wine to the carboy. Probably too much because I knew I had already lost some and was trying to recover as much as I could. I'm guessing I left about half a bottle's worth of wine not counting the lees. The level on the 6 gal carboy is right about the top of the cylindrical section where it starts to bend back to the neck.

So ... it's getting late tonight and I don't have enough of the same type of wine to top it off. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to go out tomorrow and get a 5 gal carboy for secondary. I *could* run out and get some more wine but would rather not... What would you do? I also have a liter or two worth of marbles I could sanitize and throw in there as well...

A couple of tidbits that may be relevant.

- The wine is not completely dry. I can see it barely fizzling on the surface.
- Hydrometer measurements were 1.010 (corrected) 12 hours after adding the grape pack and today it was 0.994 (day 15).
- The cause of the leak was I put the spigots o-ring on the wrong side but realized too late (after I had filled it). The guy at the LHBS said it shouldn't be a problem. It never really leaked over the first 15 days... maybe slightly oozed about a drop a day or so if that. Once I got a look inside I could see the o-ring had failed (probably and ironically because I over-tightened it to keep it from leaking)

Do i have to worry about contamination? If wine could get out I imagine air could get in. Based on the fact that my wife was in the basement only 2-3 hours before and didn't notice the smell or mess, I don't think it was leaking long.

Oddly, the airlock bubbles had slowed to barely a trickle over the last few days. As soon as I noticed the leak I tried to tighten the spigot from the outside and noticed it was bubbling again faster. I suppose it is possible I was touching the primary container and that accounted for it but I don't think so...

Because I racked too much and inevitably got some lees - should I rack again sooner or just wait until the prescribed clearing date based on hydrometer measurements?

For what it is worth - I tasted a sample and it tasted great! (well, my one data point is a 5L (?!) packlab kit which I got with my initial gear.) Still could perceive some residual sugar and of course some CO2 but I could already pick up on the oak. Interestingly, 4 days ago I tasted it and it tasted extremely bitter and chalky... almost like aspirin which I now know is from the tannins in the grape pack. I took out the grapes a couple days ago out of fear of overdoing the tannins and most of that flavor is gone already... that surprised me.

Attaching photos of the broken rubber o-ring, current level of the carboy and what I left in primary so you can critique my technique! :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMAG0539 (Small).jpg

IMAG0541 (Small).jpg

IMAG0540 (Small).jpg

I think you will be fine. There is plenty of CO2 in the wine to protect it until you can top it off. Looks like you will need a couple of bottles for sure. Don't worry about the lees right now. Wait and see what settles out over the next week or so. 0.994 is done in my book. This is a great wine, but it will take a good 14-18 months to get really good. At 18-24 months it is pretty amazing stuff for a kit wine.

The wine will be fine no doubt, I would get the 5a glon carboy myself and you may need the marbles or a bottle after racking next time or you may have extra when going into the 5 gallo meaning you may also need a 750 or magnum (1500ml) bottle and bung = airlock to keep the overage in until the next rack.

Sorry for your loss. :( You'll love having a 5 gallon carboy. I have one 5 and several 6s. Some kits throw off a lot of lees and the 5 gallon works just great.
gives me about a half gallon extra to use for topping up along the way.

I think you will be fine too. The Co2 will protect it. I would get a nice 8 gallon fermenting bucket to use so that won't happen again.

Ok...so you bring up a good point that I was going to ask as a separate thread but I'll ask here... do any of you use these type of fermentors? http://www.eckraus.com/WINEMAKING/Wine_Making_Equipment/Fermentation_Vessels/Screw-Lid_Tanks_-and-_Pails/9_GAL_TUFF/Page_1/TT090.html

I've never really used the spigot before (and it bit me last time when it broke). I'm also very concerned about cleaning it properly... the molded plastic "pinches" in a few places and there are small "dimples" and creases along the bottom that have me concerned that I wouldn't be able to get all the critters out of there. Also, there is a thin gap around the underside of the opening ... how the heck are you supposed to clean in there?!

Just curious what everyone else uses for primary... (limit scope to small 6 gal kit sizes)... are buckets better than what I am using? I would think they would be easier to keep clean... thanks!

This is what most of us use. It is about half the price of the one you're looking at. I would not get a bucket with a spigot as I've heard of too many failures. Also the square primary you're looking at to me would be too hard to ensure it was clean.

Thanks... actually I already have the square one I linked to... I'm looking to replace it with something easier to keep clean. Thanks for the suggestion!

Or go to a bakery and see what they have for food grade buckets! FREE is always better! I've never used the lid for my fermenter... got it as a pkg deal. I use all sorts of buckets. Just don't try to use one that had pickles in it... I couldn't get the smell out of the one I got for free... use it for the garden instead!

Debbie

Latest posts

Back