Casual observation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you plan on having an outdoor garden around here, the first task is to put up a 10 foot fence around it.

Wouldn't a glasshouse be worth building then?

It'd last you 30-40 years.. with regular maintenance?

Allie

10 ft? i thought it was 12? don't forget to top it with barb wire AND put some bird netting over the whole thing. :sn oh, and you also have to donate 10% of the first 5 years fruit to the closest member with over 100 posts during that time. lol

our garden is 35 ft x 80 ft and we plan on putting some fruit trees around the property (4 acres). nothing goes near the garden or becomes it too becomes food. :gb
Hahaha! Yeah, but around here, our game warden frowns on shooting a deer in a fight over a head of cabbage. :D

Wouldn't a glasshouse be worth building then?

It'd last you 30-40 years.. with regular maintenance?

Allie
I built an 11' x 20' greenhouse out of spare parts and nursery-grade plastic. It's life span in this climate is about 5 years, but it only cost $300.

So what kind of beer are you looking to brew and far do you want to take it. I make extract kits and all grain as do a few of us here. It depends on how much time I have on my hands and how my back feels when I do have the time. Im gtting low on beer and my back is bad right now so i thought it was a perfect time to do an extract kit. I just ordered a HopNog Brewers' Best kits to satisfy my thirsty corny keg. I also was just given 2 more corny kegs from a friend so now I have 6 of these.:r

So what kind of beer are you looking to brew and far do you want to take it. I make extract kits and all grain as do a few of us here. It depends on how much time I have on my hands and how my back feels when I do have the time. Im gtting low on beer and my back is bad right now so i thought it was a perfect time to do an extract kit. I just ordered a HopNog Brewers' Best kits to satisfy my thirsty corny keg. I also was just given 2 more corny kegs from a friend so now I have 6 of these.:r

Currently I have a Raspberry Wheat all grain fermenting. I put 3 1/2#'s of Raspberry in a 5 gallon batch

So what kind of beer are you looking to brew and far do you want to take it. I make extract kits and all grain as do a few of us here. It depends on how much time I have on my hands and how my back feels when I do have the time.
Well, since I'm getting into this for someone else, they like Ale. Henry's Blue Boar, to be exact. Can a wort kit actually allow you to "copy" most of the qualities of a specific beer?
I think Steve laid out the various options pretty well in another thread, and it sounds like the kit, using my existing equipment, is the way to go.

I have a couple corny friends and we are al wondering what a game warden is!

Well, since I'm getting into this for someone else, they like Ale. Henry's Blue Boar, to be exact. Can a wort kit actually allow you to "copy" most of the qualities of a specific beer?
I think Steve laid out the various options pretty well in another thread, and it sounds like the kit, using my existing equipment, is the way to go.

I would find that breweries home page. There you may find out what hops and yeast they use. Finding this out you can get close to the beer profile (clone).

OP, in general a kit will not clone a specific beer. I presume that Henry's Blue Boar ale is actually Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Pale ale. You could start with a Brewhouse Pale Ale kit. If it's a success and you wish to continue with more equipment, Tom or somebody should be able to point you to a clone database.

Steve

I would find that breweries home page. There you may find out what hops and yeast they use. Finding this out you can get close to the beer profile (clone).
Makes sense, but I don't plan on getting into scratch grain beer. If SWMBO is happy with the taste, and I can make it for less that $3.00/qt, it'll be worth the FWIF.
Any recommendations on a source for a wort kit?

OP, in general a kit will not clone a specific beer. I presume that Henry's Blue Boar ale is actually Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Pale ale. You could start with a Brewhouse Pale Ale kit. If it's a success and you wish to continue with more equipment, Tom or somebody should be able to point you to a clone database.

Steve
Perfect, Steve! Can you recommend a vendor?

OP:

In Montana...don't know any.
Mail order in the US...sorry have no experience.
In Alberta...no.
In Ontario...yes, but not much good to you.

Any Spagnols retailer should be able to get the kit for you. But many in Ontario refuse to handle beer kits. And no I don't know why not, except that they don't want my business (so they don't get it).

You can look at http://www.thebrewhouse.com/ but their retailer page showed nada for Montana.

Steve

OP:

In Montana...don't know any.
Mail order in the US...sorry have no experience.
In Alberta...no.
In Ontario...yes, but not much good to you.

Any Spagnols retailer should be able to get the kit for you. But many in Ontario refuse to handle beer kits. And no I don't know why not, except that they don't want my business (so they don't get it).

You can look at http://www.thebrewhouse.com/ but their retailer page showed nada for Montana.

Steve
I have absolutely no problem with mail order (via the web), but I've check 2 and they don't have "wort kits", only mini-mash, extract, and whole grain kits. I'll check out thebrewhouse. I need to start making a list of who I've visited. :D

save all the websites you visit to your favourites folder.. it'll save you having to google them each time..

save all the websites you visit to your favourites folder.. it'll save you having to google them each time..
I have separate folders for wine and beer. But with an attention span of a flea, I have to write down and delete those that don't have what I'm looking for. :h

I have a folder called Wine Making Stuff", it is devided into other folders, "recipes", "links for supplies", "PDF Books", etc.

If you're gonna be a winemaker, even just a hobbyist, trust me, start a folder like this. You will always want to refernce something and by keeping this info organized could very well save you frustration later.

I have a folder called Wine Making Stuff", it is devided into other folders, "recipes", "links for supplies", "PDF Books", etc.

If you're gonna be a winemaker, even just a hobbyist, trust me, start a folder like this. You will always want to refernce something and by keeping this info organized could very well save you frustration later.
Right on! Trust me, by most standards, I'm totally anal about organizing my files. I used to optimize folks computers for them as a side job. I ran into people who saved EVERYTHING to the root directory! :<

I too have earned some extra beer money by doing the same thing. People need to keep their computers organized, defragged, updated, etc.

If you wanna be on, or own a computer, PLEASE learn a little about them. The system I am running now I got from the dump, after I was able to get into the HD, it was obvious someone had "junked" it up and got frustrated and tossed it. It is the best computer I have ever had.

I have never fired up an airplane until I was sure it was ready to go. And I lerned a little bit about it so I understood how it worked.

As far as I am concerned, if you don't want to practice "general computer maintanence" don't call me crying. I WILL charge you.

I would, however, be happy to help you keep your computer running as good as possible. No charge, as long as you are willing to learn.

Troy

Last edited:
Back