Caribbean Hot Sauce

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjd

Wine Lover
Reaction score
I just made an awesome Caribbean Hot Sauce! I took one ripe medium sized papaya, removed the seeds and skin, cubed it up into a large sauce pan, Added 20 Habenero and Scotch Bonnet peppers, stems removed and roughly chopped, One large sweet onion, roughly chopped, one full bulb of garlic peeled and chopped, juice from 2 limes, juice from 2 lemons, one cup of cider vinegar, 2 tsp curry powder and 1 tsp sea salt.
Cooked it all until the peppers onions and garlic were soft and the liquid was reduced by probably half then processed it through the blender and placed it into jars. This made 3 pints.
The sauce is delicious! Sweet, Spicy and Tangy, very well balanced! I think I will be making this one again real soon!

Last edited:
Sounds great but 20 Habenero's! That has to be insanely HOT :(
Actually about 10 Habeneros and 10 Scotch Bonnets, the scotch bonnets being a bit warmer than the Habeneros but the key is the papaya, calms everything down. I like foods on the spicy side and this sauce does not push the limits.

Well. I made the third batch of this sauce today. The first batch is gone, the second one is a bit warmer than the first, I used red haberneros instead of yellow. this batch I used Orange ones and it seems to be a bit milder than the red pepper batch. I love this stuff! I only wish I could grow Papayas in Pennsylvania so I could have this year around!

I'm gonna have to try this one... I come from a family that eats jalapenos like candy, literally... My dad and grandpa both sit and watch tv with a jar of jalapenos, and a fork

Good for the blood pressure....

I am anxiously awaiting the ripening of more papayas! I will be leaving paradise the first week of april and hope to make another batch or so to take back to Pennsylvania. This stuff is great!

Capsaicin, the chemical that makes peppers hot, lowers blood pressure & improves blood flow by reducing the amount of cholesterol, from what i understand...

My family just says it, as an excuse to eat 'em :)

Wahoo! Fourth batch made today, actually a double batch since the papayas decided to start ripening faster. I now believe that I can actually take some home to Pennsylvania. This time I added the whole limes and lemons instead of just the juice. What an explosion of flavors! Sweet. Hot, Sour, Tart all at the same time. It is wonderful! Makes a great glaze to grilled chicken thighs!

Back