Quantcast

Wanting a Mango Jalapeno recipe

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Mimishan

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a newbie to this and have so far made 3 batches of wine. So far so good tho. I would love to make a mango wine with a little bite from jalapeno peppers. I love a mango margarita or any kind of mango mixed drink with jalapeno added so wondered if I could recreate this in a wine? I have a jalapeno wine recipe from Jack Kellers site
with the following ingrediants
  • 16 large jalapenos (for less heat, use 8 jalapenos)
  • 1 lb golden raisins chopped or minced
  • 2 lbs finely granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp acid blend
  • 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
  • Water to one gallon
  • 1 crushed Campden tablet
  • 3/4 tsp yeast nutrient
  • Pasteur Champagne Yeast

Could I simply remove the raisins and add mango? Or should I also up the amount of mango?
Or do the opposite and find a good mango recipe and add jalapeno to it? I have never made a recipe on my own or adjusted a recipe so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Johny99

Reaction score
Never made either but it sounds intriguing. I’d start with the mangos, find a recipe if that helps, and then simply add jalapeños to the heat you want. The above recipe is basically a raised wine. Jalapeño isn’t going to add much sugar, just spice!

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
For a one gallon batch it's going to depend on the amount of mango flavor you want. I just posted the recipe on another thread I'm using on another thread. One difference is that I'm using pineapple juice concentrate to supplement the mango. That recipe is 6 lbs of chopped mango pieces and 12 ounces of pineapple concentrate. ALSO important to know is the mangos are reported to throw off a lot of lees (Lots of fiber in them) so I increased my starting volume to 1 1/2 gallons to offset that.

The mangos were purchased at Walmart in 3 lb bags chopped and frozen. If you don't use pineapple juice you might go with 3 bags (9lbs) instead of 2. Also skip the raisins. Raisins are dried (Oxidized grapes) normally treated with a preservative so I always skip any recipe that calls for raisins, or I modify it to not use them. That's just my personal view on raisins in wine but others use them from time to time.

Oh and becareful. If you don't have a lot of self-control, you may HAVE to start with 3 bags of frozen mango pieces just to get 6-8 lbs into the batch. Once you taste them... I only ate two pieces. :h

Latest posts