Cardboard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all.

This may seem like a silly question but everywhere I look it seems that I get vague answers.

I am thinking of keeping a case of wine that I make from each kit in their cardboard boxes sealed up to help keep some space on the wine racks and in order to keep them for 2+ years.

The problem I have, is that I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't store wine for an extended period of time in the cardboard case the bottles come in, as the wine can pick up off flavors from the cardboard.

Is this true? Does anyone store their wine in cardboard boxes? Anyone have any issues?

Haven't heard of that - I've been storing in boxes for many years with no issues ( although I generally use synthetic corks). I have heard that you should not store wine in an area with strong odours, such as paints and solvents, but never from the cardboard itself.

I agree with Dugger, I have never heard of that before either. And I know of a local winery that stores their wine after they bottle it in the cardboard cases in their storage area.

Storing in the cardboard boxes seems logical to me as long as you place the box on it's side. I don't see how it could pick up the taste of the box through the bottle.

Now I agree as above BUT, I turn my bottles upside down in the box's. This way you have no problem stacking them and keeps the cork wet.

Thanks for the great responses. I'm really glad to hear that you guys haven't had any difficulties with storing in boxes.

I'm going to stash a box or two of each batch for a while so I don't get into them and to see how good this stuff can get.

Thanks again for the info!

I use plastic "totes" like you store Christmas stuff in. Keeps wine dark & safe though they do get heavy. 2 years ago I had a PEACH EXPLOSION that was a mess. I was doing sooo much blending I must have forgotten to stabilze! 23 bottles blew their corks! Hence I store all my wine, bottles & jugs in plastic totes. Roy

Back