Carboy question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumjump

Reaction score
I've been hearing some good reviews from you all and am thinking of getting a batch of Port Wine of some sort going. The thing is it seems they make 3 gallons. Can I use my 5 gallon carboy for this? Or is does it make a big difference.

Simple answer is no! The problem is you would have way too much head space. A three gallon carboy usually isn't too much money. If your not in a hurry I would wait until Winexpert and RJ Spagnals list there special addition Ports in the Fall.

Finally, a question I think I can answer correctly.
You can not use the 5 gallon carboy for a 3 gallon batch, you will have too much head space in the secondary. When you move your must from the primary, transfer it to 3 ea 1 gallon jugs. After it goes dry you will need either a 1/2 gallon jug or some different size wine bottles.

Ha Ha, got to answer one, hope I was right

Semper Fi

Another option, if it's feasible for you, is to do a double batch for your large carboy.

Another option, if it's feasible for you, is to do a double batch for your large carboy.

That's what i would - heck a 6 gallon carboy is only $30 on amazon - that is about the same price as a 3 gallon carboy!!

What a wonderful idea. A 6 gallon batch. I have 2 6 gallon carboys too. Thanks all.

Back