Carboy preparation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colorado_wade

Reaction score
I normally keep a carboy cleaned, and then filled with an inch or 2 of k-meta, with a bung stopper for my next racking. My question is, for those of you who also do that, or just after sanitizing them with k-meta in general, do you rinse them with RO/distilled water before racking to them, to get rid of the excess k-meta?

Thanks,
Wade

I don't think it matters either way, but I don't. I just pour out the kmeta and then go for it. I'm sure that others will rinse. Rinsing might very slightly increase risk of contamination which is why we sanitized in the first place, and the other side's argument is to limit kmeta totals. I think either way is fine.

Ted

Nope. ;)

Generally, the wine is done fermenting and a tiny amount of extra KMeta won't do any harm. If I'm racking to secondary, I'll sometimes let the carboy sit open for several minutes, so the fumes can dissipate - but I'm not too careful about that.

I do not rinse. Just pour out the k-meta which in my case is very little because I spritz with k-meta solution before storage. If the carboy has been stored for along time I might spritz once again before using.

Been storing mine with kmeta for a while. Dump it out, let it drain good and go. I do t trust the water to be clean enough for my wine.

I don't rinse. The amount of k-meta left over after you pour out the solution is negligible.

Latest posts

Back