carboy preasure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
how much preasure will a carboy take from a vacumn pump

Thanks Dan,

is it any different on part full carboy

28" Dan!!!!!!! Were you experimneting?? I dont recommend going over 22" and thats all youll ever need!

28" Dan!!!!!!! Were you experimneting?? I dont recommend going over 22" and thats all youll ever need!

Was I experimenting? H@LL No! I was being stupid and not paying attention. I do often finish degassing at 22". Racking is usually around 10" unless if I am splash racking then I'll go 18".

how do you change the preasure, do you have a relieve valve???

I don't go over 14 to 15 HG. Why risk it. The time difference is not worth it!!

i ran 22-23 all day long and had no problem ...have gone higher but that is an accident waiting to happen...and if you have a demijohn, i would avoid it, i think that glass is much thinner

Last edited:
Degassing Al? racking is a little different as it being pulled through and not onto the glass.

Wade...yep..degassing...i decided yesterday was the day to test your machine as well as the new Vinmetrica.....so i was all over the winery playing mad scientist

I don't go over 14 to 15 HG. Why risk it. The time difference is not worth it!!

I disagree. I degassed a piesporter at 15" instead of my usual 20" for an experiment and unfortunately it is still slightly gassy. So I will always degass at 20".

As far as the carboy being half empty or full...it doesn't matter. If it did, then you'd be able to degas using a plastic better bottle, which you can't, because even if it is full it will collapse just the same as if it was empty.

14 - 15 is a little low for me also unless he already splash racked as that would have rid the wine of 85% of the gas right there.

Latest posts

Back