Carboy Handles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

buffaloricky

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but better to ask then do things wrong. With the carboy handles should you attach them in between the two ridges on the neck or under the second ridge?????:?

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had it between the two ridges but the orange cap will not fit on if you do that so I lowered it. Also I saw a picture with it under the second ridge. Think of it this way also, if it did slip, it would have another ridge to get over. I put them on all of my carboys.

Stan

Junior
Reaction score
can you lift full carboys with these handles. Or are they just to help
when cleaning. they do get pretty slippery.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use the handle to ASSIST with lifting. I would not want to put that much stress on just the neck. One hand under the carboy and one on the handle when the carboy is full. When I am cleaning I never let go of the handle due to the slickness of a wet carboy.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
can you lift full carboys with these handles. Or are they just to help
when cleaning. they do get pretty slippery.
Stan welcome to the best forum. Please go to the introduction thread and let us know who you are and what you're working on. Keep the questions coming in. We will be happy to help you out with anything you're working on.

Stan

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. Im new to winemaking and just bottled a vitners reserve Blush. Very surprised with the results of my first try. I have
wildberry Shiraz in primary and raspberry in secondary

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
They go in between the rings like Dan said and also like Dan said it is just for assisting the lift. Welcome Stan, do you know Troy who also resides in Alaska here?

Stan

Junior
Reaction score
No, I dont know Troy. I believe he lives in Fairbanks, bout six hour drive north. Im really looking forward to getting to knnow everyone here though

Green Mountains

Reaction score
Welcome Stan.

I use the carboy handles to aid in lifting and washing but they really only help stabilize things. You still need a good grip under or around the carboy.

xanxer82

Reaction score
I bought a brew hauler. That thing is really nice. I do get worried about a strap slipping though. If they weren't so pricey I'd order one for each carboy.
I use the carboy handle while washing the carboys out. They do get very slippery.

Malkore

Reaction score
I bought a brew hauler. That thing is really nice. I do get worried about a strap slipping though. If they weren't so pricey I'd order one for each carboy.
I use the carboy handle while washing the carboys out. They do get very slippery.
line up the straps and they can't slip enough to ever lose a 5 gallon carboy.

they're a lot cheaper online than my LHBS too, so you might consider that the next time you order anything online. they are lightweight and can be good to pad the shipping costs of heavier items (or minimum shipping costs).

robie

Reaction score
I agree with XANXER82. The brew haulers are really nice. I have one for each carboy I own. I took my carboy handles off completely. If you have a carboy drying stand, the carboy handle gets in the way, so you can't use the stand at all.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with XANXER82. The brew haulers are really nice. I have one for each carboy I own. I took my carboy handles off completely. If you have a carboy drying stand, the carboy handle gets in the way, so you can't use the stand at all.
I use the handles exclusivley on all carboys as they are cheaper. As far as drying goes what I found using a 6" pvc coupling found at Lowes works perfect and is more stable. I drilled a few 1/2" holes in it for air flow and it easily excepts bottles with handles.

Stan

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info, Went and bought straps today, what a difference in hauling a full carboy down the hallway. Before i got the straps
i just new i was going to drop one. Those suckers are awkward and heavy.

robie

Reaction score
That's a great tip and the price is right. :b
Thanks, Runningwolf.

phaz3

Junior
Reaction score
I am glad I have one otherwise its a little difficult with out it :b

GhostHawk

Reaction score
Welcome stan, Good to hear about you. I used to live in Anchorage. Met my wife there. Somehow we managed to get to the base of the Rockies here in Colorado.

Latest posts