can you add black currant concentrate to a wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman

Reaction score
can you add black cherry concentrate to a wine kit

I've generally stuck to quality wine kits and experimented a little with blending but never added fruits, flavors (such as coffee) or other concentrates to my wine. Now I'm thinking of an experiment of sorts. I've always liked the flavor of Black Cherry and I've seen a few threads on making berry wines from scratch. I'm not really interested in making fruit wine from scratch as it requires too much chemistry for me but wondered if anyone has added a concentrate to a wine kit.
Can I add a Black Cherry concentrate to a wine kit and if so, which type of wine would you choose? Would this adversely affect the PH and Sugar levels to the point where one could end up with a nasty beverage?

Look forward to your comments.

Gman

Last edited:
I don't see why you couldn't add a black cherry concentrate to a wine. There was a interesting podcast on Basic winemaking about Meades where they did this. They actually made a 6 gal batch fermented it, then broke it into 6 1 gal batches for secondary and added different stuff to each of them to see how the flavor changed. I believe one of hte 1 gal's got a concentrate of some variety.

I would think darker and fuller bodied wines would be the way to go with blk Cherry Concentrate

We get black cherry concentrate from the local hippie store, its all organic and tastes very good and you can easily add a cherry taste to your wine, it does have sugar in it of course, one brand we have used is Tree of Life. We usually do an elderberry + blackberry + black cherry concentrate wine every year, we use the cherry to chaptalize the wine adding sugar and flavor towards the end of the primary fermentation and top it off with the cherry concentrate when racking.

Crackedcork

You can absolutely add it or you can add it afterwards which would make it easier to blend and end up with something closer to what you want IMO.

OH, by the way, do you want to add Black Currant or Black Cherry to it?

OH, by the way, do you want to add Black Currant or Black Cherry to it?
Black Cherry specifically. I was thinking the same in that a concentrate flavour added after fermentation say just before bottling would be the easiest. Some stated there are concentrates at health food stores.

Now the next question, how much to add?

I'm thinking start with a table spoon per gallon, any advice

Last edited:
Ive usd the ones from nature stores a few times, its the best place to get them IMO. I used an Elderberry and I think I used a 4 oz b ottle per 6 gallons.

Thanks Wade E, I think I have enough feedback to experiment. Appreciate the help

Latest posts

Back