Can MLF be induced in Regina juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonvec

Reaction score
Since the juice already has been sulfitedcan mlf be induced. Would cold soakinghelp in this? I am going to add chambourcin grape skins (5 to 10 pounds per 5 gal)

Which one of the Regina juices did you get? Concentrate or whole grape must? You might e-mail the comany and ask them for advice. If the sulfites are too high, it won't work. And in most concentrates introducing MLF causes off flavors. I would ask them first to be safe.

Its 100 % juice not concentrate and has the acid adjusted and I think 50 ppm of sulfite

Pure juice and 50 ppm, it might work. Might be worth a shot if it needs it. If the acid was adjusted, it implies it was on the low side, so MLF wouldn't really be needed. What varietal did you get?

A lot of the free SO2 will be "bound" after the alcohol fermentation is nearly done and by the time you would normally add the mlf culture. Like Bonnie Joy said, there are cultures that can handle high free SO2 but I bet your free SO2 will not be all that high when the time comes to inoclulate with the culture.

However, be careful with Reginal fresh juice (non-strerilized)! I have been told that they adjust acid via malic and citiric rather than tartaric. Most of them do NOT do mlf because of this and because the TA and pH are at a good level. If you do a mlf on these juices, you may very well throw off the balance pretty bad.

One option is to forgo the mlf and use Lysozyme tofix theunstable wine and the potential unwantedspontaneous mlf later in the botlle.

Don't take my word for it. Do a Google search and find out what other people have to say that use it. Lots of folks on the East Coast use it. Or, better yet, contact the Regina folks and ask them directly about doing mlf.

Good luck.

I'm picking up a bucket of Barbera juice if label has the TA at .5 or .6 I won't bother with the MLF. But I've heard this is a very high acid juice possibly 1.0.

I would definitely check with the company to see if they recommend MLF. Certain additives can inhibit MLF and cause off flavors.

Received my regina juice today the balling is 22 and the ta is .05 so I guess I worried about nothing. I added about 5 pounds of chambourcin grape and skins the brix was 19.5and removed all stems. I'm going to keep chilled for a few days before I pitch the yeast.

Back