WineXpert can I vacation in between a process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bijoy

Junior
Reaction score
I plan to make a Cabernet Sauvignon from WE and if I started it and had it moved to the carboy after 10 days could I go away for a month and hope to not affect the process in any way?

It all depends on if the fermentation has died down or not.

Edit: That depends on factors such as temperature and yeast.

If it's still fermenting, I'd say don't risk it.

If it's not fermenting, sure. You'd probably be doing it a favor.Edited by: MedPretzel

I discussed this with George and we both agree that letting your wine sit in a carboy under an airlock after racking from the primary for a month is perfectly fine and has been done for a lot longer with no issues.

The only issue would be that the airlockmaintains the proper level of water in it and you rack into carboy while it is still fermenting(SG 1.010) so the head space of the carboy is purged well with CO2.

Put ever-clear in the airlocks to keep the Bactria from getting in the airlock when you are gone. A month in then dark + water = Bactria.

Adding some K-meta to the water will also work. I have started using doing this recently after seeing some discoloration in the airlocks of my meads, which sit for an extended period of time in the carboy.

During the hurricanes, I had 2 kits going that I was delayed over a month processing. I had no problems with either.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back