Can I use pre-sweetened strawberries?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Wanting to do a 1 gallon batch of strawberry wine. Was planning on using jack kellers recipe using frozen strawberries. I was wandering if I could use frozen berries with sugar already added? I have access to a bunch of them. Also was planning on using 6 lbs instead of 3. Would I just adjust the sugar needed based on the gravity of the must? Also what ph should the must be and how would I adjust it if needed? Sorry first time wine maker here! Thanks Nick

Last edited:
Yup, yup. Adjust suger additions using the sg. Be carfull with any acid aditions when doubeling fruit in a recipie. I am clueless when it comes to the ph. Good luck!

Yes adjust your sugar since your primary product has sugar, adjust your ph to between 3.4 and 3.5. Acid should be pretty close to right. Good luck, strawberry is something that is fantastic done right but most I've tasted (besides mine) was real weak on flavor.

So should I not add the citric acid per the instructions if I double the fruit? Or just add half?

Since strawberry is usually high in citric acid I would definitely follow dralarms advice and check your PH before adding any more

What should my starting gravity be and what should it be before I transfer to my secondary? Thanks again.

With strawberry I'd shoot for 1.085 to 1.090. Any higher and the alcohol can hide the flavor. You can ferment all the way to dry if you like or transfree to secondary around 1.015 to 1.020.

Latest posts

Back