Can I use leftover bottles from commercial wines I have drank for my ho' made wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Can I use leftover bottles from commercial wines I have drank for my ho' made wine?

I don't know why not. That's what I plan on using. Im going to wash them out real well, sterilize, and go with it. Why buy something thats exactly the same as you already have?

I don't know why not. That's what I plan on using. Im going to wash them out real well, sterilize, and go with it. Why buy something thats exactly the same as you already have?

Thanks!

The 1.5L bottles at my local wine store with cork are $4, so it seems to make sense to buy decent $10 1.5L bottles with wine, and save the bottle and cork.

I would get new corks, but I think everyone here recylces their bottles.

We all use commercial wineries used bottles. Just picked up 15 cases last week. Wash out, remove label. Use a btl .brush, dry and store till needed.

Yep, I use recycled bottles too.

Just so you know... Don't use any screw top bottles. The glass is too thin and won't stand the pressure of a cork.

Yes, recycle used bottles BUT do not reuse the corks. Always insert only new corks. As far as screw top bottles go, I always throw them away. Some people use them and cork them ok. The necks are thinner and the danger comes in play when people try to remove the corks. If any pressure is applied on the side of the necks they are prone to break. Its not worth an unsuspecting person to get hurt or chance broken glass getting into your wine.

I cork the screw top bottles. I have not had a problem with them so far, but this is the type of corkscrew I have so maybe that's why.
14_image_01.jpg

I did chip a regular type bottle with one of these corkscrews though:
Waiters-Corkscrew.jpg

The wine was OK as it happened before the cork came out. But the bottle went to the recycle.

Another bad thing about screw cap bottles is that (for Stel Vin closures at least) the mouth is wider than that of a bottle normally sealed with a cork closure. If you plan on corking, this could mean that you do not get as tight of a seal.

I have a ton of screw top bottles. I wouldn't think of trying to use corks in them (I learned this from the gurus on this board LOL). But you can buy new screwtops very cheap from an online wine supplier.

There has been a lot of study in the use of alternate closures. Read the book "To Cork or Not to Cork" by George Taber.

Some things to consider..

By using screwcaps, you end up with a perfectly air tight seal. Although this may sound great, there are current studies that show this as not the preferred way to go. This perfect air tight seal does not allow the slow micro-oxidation associated with natural cork. In other words, wines sealed with screw caps (such as the stelvin closure) tend not to mature any further than the point at which it is bottled.

Winemakers can and do compensate for this by having their wines undergo an extended bulk aging process thus eliminating the need for maturing in the bottle.

Above all of this, I do not use screwcaps because of the loss of the dramatic effect of pulling the cork. That nice POP announces to the world that something good this way comes (IMHO).

Used bottles is the way to go to make this hobby pay for itself. Just make sure to clean them thoroughly. I use a good oxi cleaning detergent when cleaning along with the bottle brush and then sanitize them right before use with a kmeta solution and let them drip out for about 10 minutes before using with the bottles upside down. If they still have a little left in them its fine as we as home winemakers are almost always under on the recommended S02 levels in our wines.

Hers a pic of 1/2 of 1 days collection soaking for cleansing and delabeling.
Bottles.jpg

I keep a jar of oxy clean under the kitchen sink. I rinse the commercial bottles three times, then add a few sprinkles of oxy to the bottle and clean the heck out of it. They are kept upside-down to drip dry, then a little Na Meta/ K Meta added is added to kill all the baddies. Store upside-down in a case, ready for refill.
If I use bottles from a restaurant, I will spend more time cleaning with a brush, but the same concept applies.
Go for it, and Cheers!!!

Slow oxidation? Heck I drink it too fast for slow oxidation! LOL

Very good point.

If you think the wine will be consumed within a 8 to 12 month period, then the benefits of cork are negligible. OK to go with the screw caps.

I would still miss that wonderful "POP", however.

I have a ton of screw top bottles. I wouldn't think of trying to use corks in them (I learned this from the gurus on this board LOL). But you can buy new screwtops very cheap from an online wine supplier.

Koom - Where did you find replacement screw tops that will fit commercial screw top bottles?

I have a ton of commercial screw top bottles that are designed for stelvin closures - the most common type.

I've tried several different screw caps from winemaking supply places and none of them fit properly.

I keep some screw top bottles and the corresponding caps for my 'everyday' drinking...I actually have 2 wine cellars...one with pretty bottles for gifting, aging and that 'ooo, ahh' effect and one cabinet filled with screwtop bottled wine, capped for general consumption. I can pour a glass, screw the cap back on and put in the fridge. Man, I love this hobby!

Latest posts

Back