can I take a peek?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoxbar

Junior
Reaction score
I started My first batch of wine Saturday. I'm making a Chilean Malbec , by wine expert. Everything seems to be fermenting properly. Since it's my first kit I really want to peek inside and see what's going on inside the primary. Can I take the lid off and peek or will it mess something up?

Sure you can. In fact if you are using a bucket you don't have to snap that lid down. You can just lift the lid and take a peek every now and then. If the environment is clean in the area you should have no issues.

the rule is no more than one peek (lifting of the lid or cloth) per hour...however you are allowed two per hour after sunset but before dawn

ok..ok just kidding.....look all you want...the yeasties like oxygen and since you paid for this you should enjoy yourself.....speaking for myself only here, i think you cant look at it enough :)

taste it frequently even if its just dipping your finger in, so that you can experience the taste changes...write down notes on what you see/taste because it will help you the second time around ( something i should have done )

also take pictures for yourself

Al Fulchino said:
the rule is no more than one peek (lifting of the lid or cloth) per hour...however you are allowed two per hour after sunset but before dawn

That's only true during daylight savings time. The rest of the year it's just one peek per hour no matter what time it is.

i had to go in and edit my post Whino! and mention i was kidding..i got worried it might seem i was making fun...and nothing could be further from the truth :)

very true about tasting as you go along to see the suttle changes that are made along the ferment highway..fun thing to do and learn by........

hoxbar, peek and sniff!!!! Don't have to snap the lid down tight. Just lay it on top and cover the hole with a clean washcloth or plastic. Just so little critter stuff doesn't crawl in.
smiley36.gif

Ahh!

Waking up to the smell of fermenting wine in the morning
smiley20.gif

I looked in last night and it was not what I expected. I expected to see this purple frothy mess, mixed with oak chips. I was shocked to see the oaks chips were settled to the bottom. there was a ring of oakchips on the sides of the bucket (from the sloshing carring it to the closet). Should I push them down into the wine? The winewas just aspurple and shiny as Saturday. I didn't taste it, but I guess I'll try it. It sure smells a little funky.
smiley11.gif

Can you tell if it is indeed fermenting???
By smell???? You said funky...we call that yeast smell....Sometimes it smells like bread dough.

Sanitize a spoon and stir if you like...when you are done your reward is to lick the spoon....
smiley17.gif
Who's that who said stick your finger in it????

Sometimes it froths and foams, other times it just sizzles...To me sometimes it sounds like the leaves of the trees rustling in the breeze....
What leaves on the trees???? None around here...we can only dream.

Has there been any change with this wine yet? Inquiring minds want to know! Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble? I'd love an update!

Everything is going great! I checked my sg and it's ready for the carboy. I'll make the transfer tonight. If I knew how to post pics I would.

Thanks for the update! Hope you figure out the picture posting. But more importantly, take good care of your wine!
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back