Can I save this wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeann

Junior
Reaction score
It was late when we started this adventure. I squished the grapes. We put them in the ale pale. We added the water and the sugar and the campden tablet. Then we added the yeast. I don't know why but we did. The directions called for adding the yeast but later not now. Have I completely ruined this wine? The campden is suppose to kill the wild yeast and bacteria. So did I just kill the yeast I just added? Can I still continue with the process by just forgetting I added the yeast? Help. Those were the best damn tasting grapes we have had in a long time. Any help would we great appreciated.

Leeann, some additional information would help us answer your question.

When did you start this wine?
How much wine are you making?
Do you know the grape variety? (This is not super important.)
How many campden tablet did you add?
What was the yeast that you added? How much?
Did you measure the SG when you started? If so, what was it?
Is there any sign of fermentation at this point?

The short answer to your question is that you probably can save the wine. It may be that you will just have to add another packet of yeast because the campden has killed all of the first addition along with the wild yeast.

Welcome aboard!!!

I think you will be fine - the campden you added will just keep the wine yeast a bay for a bit.

Stir vigorously a few times a day - get the O2 in there this will help the yeast.

If after a few days nothing has happened - introduce another yeast packet...

The SO2 from that campden tablets will blow off in a day or two. At the most you only will have to add yeast again in a day or two. It may even be able to work through that sulfite level and start but it's unlikely. I would buy another dose of yeast and add it 24 hours after you added the campden.

Take a deep breath, your wine will most likely be fine.

Latest posts

Back