Can I pitch yeast now?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi, got a quick question.....my grapes were crushed last Monday (Sept 23rd) and pressed today (Sept 29th).

I have 6 gallons of Cab and 6 gallons of Syrah (in two separate buckets). The SG is around 1.06 and both have started to ferment on natural yeast (nothing added thus far).

My question is; can I still add peptic enzyme, yeast nutrients and yeast even though the fermentation process has started? Thanks.

What was your starting SG?

It appears you have already let the wild yeast colonize and whatever their character is has already started to become the character of your wine. If you simply pitch wine yeast now, they are unlikely to out-compete the already-established strains.

If you want to try and complete the fermentation with wine yeast, you will first need to sulfite the must and knock out the wild yeast. You may then attempt to pitch wine yeast and hopefully they will take over.

Thanks....not sure what the starting SG was at crush.....the brix (I was told) was around 26-27 though. At press the SG was around 1.060, so the wild yeast must have already started to colonize because you could see fermentation activity. I'll let nature take it's course and not add anything. Thanks again.

When your gravity reaches around the 1.000 mark, I would still knock it with some metabisulfite and keep it away from unnecessary air exposure. This will help prevent it turning to vinegar.

I think others have offered good advice. You can certainly pitch a good yeast starter. It will take over when the weaker wild yeasts conk out.

I'm just curious about your winemaking plan here. Were you trying to ferment them for 6 days? If not, why wait 6 days and then press them before fermentation? Was it cold maceration? And, do you not want to ferment them with the skins?

Hi and thanks for your input. After the crush the grapes sat on the skins for 7 days....in covered vats.....in a garage. We crushed approximately (2) pallets of grapes, yielded around 125 gallons....my share was the (2) 6 gallon buckets. I have them in my finished basement covered with cheese cloth (so critters don't indulge) and the lids laid on top. The Cab is fermenting pretty good, the Syrah is much slower. Would a yeast nutrient help do anything or is that what you call the "starter"? Thanks again.

normal procedure is to crush grapes, adjust acid levels then pitch yeast,(if your not planning on doing a cold soak).. After fermentation is complete, then press.. You run a big risk of spoilage and oxidation leaving crushed wine just sitting there for a week

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back