can choke cherrys be steam juiced?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronh

Reaction score
I am pondering if the Hydrocyanic acid would be extracted from the seeds if i used a steam juicer to juice chokecherrys. Any personal experiances? Edited by: Aaronh

I think NW has steamed them Aaronh. Will see if she jumps in here with her wisdom. That gal wrote the book on steaming fruit...or if she didn't, she should.Edited by: Waldo

I juice them all the time....The juice makes great wine.

They smell a little of almonds when they are steaming...so I also have wondered about the seeds...

They aren't the juiciest fruit....I do about #22# to get about 8 quarts of juice...I use 8 quarts for 6 gallons of wine....any more and the wine can be a little strong.

The wine is our favorite....
smiley4.gif

Waldo said:
I think NW has steamed them Aaronh. Will see if she jumps in here with her wisdom. That gal wrote the book on steaming fruit...or if she didn't, she should.

Hi Waldo....
Looks like we Posted at the same time...
smiley4.gif

Yes, 22 Pounds, I've steamed the chokes also, make a very good wine! Don't think you could beat NW's recipe on that one.

Sounds great! The one gallon bagI got a few days agofeels alittle over 5lbs mabye near 10. Gonna have tobarrow theportion scale from work and see exactully what i got.If there all ripe when i go out tomarrow, with a little help from my friends i should have 20ish lbs easy.
smiley14.gif

Well have 12 pound of chokecherrys , steamers in the mail on the way. I thought I was going to only come up with 3 gallons. But life has its twists and truns and im gonna have the full 22 pounds in the next three days. Found some hidden trees by work here and they got someHUGE choke cherrys on them.

Now.. does anyone have a recpie, "without concentrait additions please".

Im also gonna have to buy one of them fancy ph testers becouse strips dont cut it on red wine testing.
smiley19.gif

You can use raisins instead of concentrait.....some of my recipes say 1/2 pt. concentrait or 1 lb. of raisins per gallon [I put the raisins through a meat grinder to chop them up, but does make for a lot of lees]

Back