Steam Juicing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian9365

Junior
Reaction score
Hi
Speculative question. I have a steam juicer and was wondering if anyone has used one to juice root vegetables such as Parsnips, Carrots Beets etc. If so how did you process the veggies first, cut into chunks, food processor, grated etc.

Was the process successful, did it make a good wine etc.

Cheers

Yes well I was wondering that myself but you do basically cook the root vegs first anyway when making such wines, would steam be worse than that ?

i do country wines, fruits and berries, i have no clue about vegetables ,,,I've read where others do, but to my limited grey matter ,, all i know is i use no heat and i use dry cane sugar, i use a stainless steel kraft mayo stirrer and a cordless drill to stir my ferments, and a carboy stirrer to stir to back sweeten my wines with dry sugar, using my cordless and a stainless stirrer with folding plastic wings/paddles carboy stirrer from www.Amazon.com
Dawg

I haven't made a root vegetable wine, so I reviewed a few recipes for parsnip wine. The ones I read said to boil the parsnips until cooked, but not mushy. Strain the water and let it cool; discard the cooked parsnip (although I assume it's edible). Add sugar and other stuff, including pectic enzyme.

I also didn't know how a steam juicer operated, so I've learned 2 new things this morning! ;)

As I understand it, steam juicers release juice from berries, and can be used to cook vegetables. Parsnips have little juice, so my expectation is the process will produce cooked parsnips and a bit of juice, but not enough to make wine.

This is theory on my part -- I suggest steam juicing a small amount of parsnip (or other vegetable) to see what you get. If it doesn't work out for winemaking, at least you have something to eat.

If you try it, report your results -- it's an interesting topic.

I just bought a steam juicer and have used in on Elderberries and well as plums and it works well. The freuit was all frozen. I haven't tried in on vegtables but I've heard people use it to makes soups ext from it. I know that for fruit if you freeze it first it helps break it down. But I have seen recipes that cook the parsnip and I think if you cut it up it should work.

I have steamed assorted vegetables and then pressed them. Carrot, squash, zucchini, beet do not have substantial pectin so it is efficient. Parsnip probably will also work.

I should add welcome to Wine Making Talk

Some vegetables have a good deal of “juice” in them. Not sure why steam would be required to extract it when there are so many different means of juicing. I suppose it’s worth a shot at least once.
But you won’t see me doing it.

carrot as an example has about 90% moisture if tested in the lab, it also has a lot of cellulose in the cell walls so it is quite rigid
steam is not required, my job in grad school had expeller presses with 50 Hp motors that would squeeze the blood out of a turnip
Some vegetables have a good deal of “juice” in them. Not sure why steam would be required to extract it when there are so many different means of juicing.

Back