campden tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryten

Reaction score
I have 15 soon to be 20 gallons of apple wine that I wish to store for a while (6 to 18 months).

The ABV for these batches is high enough that I don't need to use Potassium sorbet. However, to avoid any infections in my batches I know that I should be using campden.

When I prep my must I know to use 1 tablet per gallon to kill my wild yeast and wait 24 hours to inoculate with my cultured strains.

The question then is how many tablets per gallon for aging, for storage, and how often should I be treating with campden?

Last edited:
If you're planning to bulk age it in the carboys, use one crushed tabled per gallon every three months, if you're going to bottle and age, use the one per gallon ratio before you bottle, and then forget it. Dale.

If you really want to age it, then I also recommend that you test and adjust the acid in the wine. Get an acid test kit and adjust the acid to a TA of around .70

If you are not measuring your SO2 content, I would follow the general rule of thumb of adding a dose at every other racking and again at bottling.

Latest posts

Back