California Cab fresh juice 5 gallon bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon230

Reaction score
Pitched yeast 10-2-12 SG 1090
racked 10-7-12 SG 1000 ( I know it went fast)
racked 11-4-12 .992 1/4 teaspoon pot med
racked 1-16-13 1/8 teaspoon pot med

My questions is what now? Do I bottle? DO I add 1/8 pot med and keep bulk aging? Do I just keep bulk aging and do nothing?

Thanks for you help.

Time to hurry up and do nothing for 6 months! That's what I would do...

I'm guessing you let it clear naturally. If so it will continue dropping sediment a little at a time.

Let it age, add oak if you like. I use American medium toast 4 ounces by weight (if I recall).

Late August rack off of sediment, oak if any and back sweeten just a small amount to bring out the flavor. This is if the gravity is .990 or less. Our cab sauv gravity was probably .995-.996 Add potassium sorbate if you back sweeten. Add just a pinch of sulfite.

Allow it to rest a few weeks then bottle.

Has it dropped tartaric crystals? Have you degassed it?

I do my Regina juice buckets in mid Sept. and bottle early Sept. the following year.

Actually, you can do any of the options you suggested. It's all really a matter of choice and none of the options are wrong. However, regardless of your choice, you should add 1/8th tsp of Kmeta; it's been 4 months since you last added it.

This is just me -
You can let it age some more; it may or may not drop anymore sediment at this point depending on whether or not you used a clearing agent. If you think it has stopped dropping sediment, you can bottle it.

Either way, assuming you can't accurately measure free SO2, you need to add another 1/8th teaspoon of Kmeta. If you choose to bottle, don't bottle until 3 or 4 days after you add the Kmeta.

Last edited:
It did drop crystals and I did degas. Is Kmeta the same thing as Potassium Sorbate?

Ok is Potassium Metabisulfite is the same as Kmeta correct? This what I would 1/8 teaspoon every 4 months in a 5 gallon carboy?

So I just dump in 1/8 teaspoon of Kmeda in the carboy or do I mix it up with a little of the wine?

Back