Calculating Alcohol Percentage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannew

Reaction score
I know the formula to calculate the %, but when it says Ending S.G., is that the reading just before bottling?

I know the formula to calculate the %, but when it says Ending S.G., is that the reading just before bottling?

that is the sg after fermentation is totally complete, prior to f-packing or backsweetening, if doing so....

Yes, if you didn't sweeten the wine.

In reality it is the specific gravity when fermentation ends.

Example...
  1. Start the wine...initial sg 1.092
  2. Transfer to carboy...sg 1.005
  3. Stabilize & clear...ending sg 0.992
  4. Sweeten...sg goes up to 1.005
  5. Bottle...sg is still 1.005
So alcohol level is 1.092 - .992 X 133 = 13.3%

Yes sweetening adds a little volume (depending on how it was done), but really doesn't change the alcohol level much.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, thanks for the specific example. It gave the detail I needed to really understand this. However, I think you meant the SG, and not the temperature, when fermentation ends.

NS

Thanks also. I measure at each stage and was never sure which reading to use.

Steve, thanks for the specific example. It gave the detail I needed to really understand this. However, I think you meant the SG, and not the temperature, when fermentation ends.

NS
Corrected. Don't know where that came from, unless I had just been checking the weather, or something.

Thanks, Steve

Latest posts

Back